Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Glad you were able to fix your hinge so fast You are spot on with your assessment of the bad hinge design. I only wish I knew about your fix before I followed HP's 4-hour step-by-step hinge removal procedure! Thanks for helping us! Dzmsyw.
HP Recommended

Well,  I see its not just me that has issues with the left hinge. I have the dm4-3000 series beats edition hp. Same issues. The hinge seperates overtime from the plastic cover the hinge in anchored to. What makes this 1000 times worse is, if you look at my past and only posts on this forum, you will see they are concerning my hp envy spectre xt ultrabook. EXACT SAME ISSUE, EXACT SAME HINGE. Twice in the past year now ive had 2 expensive hp laptops get taken out by a faulty left hinge design. Of course if you anchor a hinge on plastic like this its going to fail over time. Exact same anchoring on the envy spectre xt. Ridiculous. Ive always bought everything hp is what makes it worse. I will say that even though the spectre was out of warrenty, hp came to a satisfactory resolution for me. I dont see them doing me any favors for me twice for the exact same issue on a different hp....... although as I see it, its even more of a reason to.  Not happy.

HP Recommended

They came up twice for me and fixed the left hinge on my Envy, but wouldn't fix the right hinge when it broke unless I paid for the repair, which I refused to do as it was their fault, and by that time I had purchased a new computer (which was NOT an HP!)

HP Recommended

Ive always been a loyal HP customer but this is twice in around 7 months that my 2 higher end hp laptops have been done in by not wearing out or a part breaking down over time, which I would be ok with, but a design flaw in the left hinge. If something isnt done about it I will have to buy another laptop, I was going to soon anyway. Depending on the resolution of this issue will depend on the manufacture of my next laptop. Im not optimistic it'll be a HP

HP Recommended

At least I did get contracted last time with the envy spectre xt. Never again.

HP Recommended

I wish I had found this topic a long time ago.

Hinge issue (now both) on dm4-1050ea

An additional thing I noticed before hinges became detached from screen assembly/top cover was that they had become increasingly stiff;  I daren't move the lid for fear of snapping the attachment - which is what did happen. So in my case I am of the opinion it wasn't the weak anchor that was  the root cause, it was the hinges locking up.  Of course, the screen became damaged down the left hand side for a bout a 1cm width strip but the screen is actually useable at a push, if it it is carefully supported.  The anchor point on top cover may have failed in due course anyway, of course. 

My (simple) solution to the issue, having had a difficult time even communicating the HP support group who were unable to help in the end,  at any cost less than buying a new computer (HP seem really only interested in selling their latest and [not their most expensive tho'] expensive models)  (I think this was early 2015 so well out of warranty), was to get a larger external screen 21.5" (about 60 GBP), wireless k/b and mouse (10 GBP) and and an HDMI cable (2 GBP), connect it up, and now I have a fixed computer and screen with a k/b & mouse that I can use from my armchair, with a nice big screen.  The system isn't portable oof course, but I found a 2kg weight a bit awkward to carry about anyway.

I found a youtube video which involved the hole drilling, which it seems is the best way of solving this problem but I can't give ref. because my mmy HP with it has just failed. Sorry.  My other dm4s are ok so far...but I've not used them much (all second hand)

Woodwood

9.March.2017

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.