Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

@Michelle06 wrote:

My hinge broke on the right side of my computer, I stopped using the laptop for a while (and no longer closed it b/c I didnt want to damage it more). When I took it to best buy they said it would be about $400 to fix the problem. Now because of the broken hinge, my frame has begun cracking and is now beginning to cause damage to the right hinge. I'm so disappointed. I loved this laptop but because of this I will NEVER buy another HP. Broken HP Pavillion DM4-1.jpg

I am having this identical issue.  Until about a week ago, it was just the extremely annoying hinges.  Now, the plastic frame is breaking and, occasionally when opening, it seems like the LCD is having some issues.  I'd appreciate a resolution on this.  It's a 3-4 year old dm4-1165dx with light wear. 

This has honestly turned me off of HP in a big way.  I bought my wife a Toshiba Satellite recently and will do the same or get an Asus if there is not a resolution to this issue from HP. 

HP Recommended

Left hand side hinge on my Envy sleekbook broke and HP repaired it under warranty at beginning of this year (2014). Now it is coming apart again,  so I don't know if they put a new frame on the screen or just repaired it with DS tape.  Of course now the warranty has run out (4 months ago) but I feel HP should repair this again and I should not have to pay for it.  It looks like the hinge is crooked, not at right-angle to the screen, so it must be getting bent out of shape (just like me!) I have been treating the laptop very carefully since it was repaired, opening and closing it with both hands very gently. 

Please respond Jeff.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

hii all ,

I to had this problem with my Dm4 series laptop i spoke with hp team and the solution they provided is to get it repaired through a paid service as the laptop is out of warrenty. Its the third time i am having the issue with the hings.

HP Recommended

Hello All,

The dm4 HP laptops have a critical hinge design defect. The back part of the hinge attaches with tiny screws to a plastic inner frame, which is then glued to the inner circumference of the metal display lid. After a year or two, the stress of the hinge causes the inner plastic frame to break apart. As you open and close the lid, the deterioration continues until the outer plastic and finally the diplay is impacted since the display wiring is also threaded through the hinge.

Along with the thousands of you that have this problem, this also happened to my expensive dm4. You'll notice that the newer HP laptops have re-designed hinges twice the size of our dm4 hinges.

I am not sure if we will get any relief until a class-action lawsuit is filed. Keep your computer and paperwork since a lawsuit is inevitable.

HP Recommended

I was informed this week by a service rep that HP is not even authorized anymore to repair these (support is only 3 years) and that they were offering...

...a one year warranty extension on the purchase of a new HP!

I was shocked by their generosity!

HP Recommended

Obviously I'm not alone.  The left hinge on my DM4 broke within several months of its' purchase.  I tried several times to epoxy it back together, including the plastic surround on the screen, but it didn't last long.  The laptop is a winner for performance, but mechanically it "sucks".  It is currently sitting next to my chair in our family room, with a clamp holding the left corner of the sceen together.  It will never close again.  My next computer will not have an HP label on it.

HP Recommended

12/03/14- Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
HP Recommended

12/03/14 - Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
HP Recommended

@indyham 

‎Thank you for using HP Support Forum. I have brought your issue to the appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post ( serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with the Forum's private messaging please click here to learn more.

Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Figure I'd post here as well... a few months ago my left hinge broke and I originally just glued it back together. This worked for awhile, and then both my left and right hinges broke which then caused the plastic around the screen to break as well.

The computer still works fine (fan is a little loud, but other than that it's perfect) but I hate walking around with a duct-taped computer... Is there anything I can do?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.