Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

06/03/14 - Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
HP Recommended

Hi,

I am having exactly the same problem with the left hinge. I used to be loyal HP customer but don't think I can recommend them anymore. Has anyone discovered some sort of solution to this problem? What is Jeff's solution?

I had hoped that HP would step up and support their design with some sort of free fix. The laptop still works well except for this problem, which is getting worse with each open and close. I'd love to be able to get another year out of it.

Thanks,

Zach

HP Recommended

Hey Zach,

Jeffs solution is to email HP which I did and never ever heard back from HP and if I try to contact through the contact us link I cannot as my laptop is out of warranty. It is just a big mess .... 

HP Recommended

06/23/14- Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
HP Recommended

hii  you cant get a free service or replacement as we are out of warrenty and if we pay they will get it serviced  thats what they said  when i spoke to them.

same problem with every one .i am using my Dm4 as a desktop i cant move it .no use of having a fast mechine when we cant carry it .got the pannel replaced 2 time but of no use it has to go on like that.

regards

HP Recommended

Hello, Vamsigh,

Case has been on-going; no definitive resolution as of now. Will update progress.

What I have learned - as considerations for purchasing a new laptop:

1. Consumer models - Pavilion dm4 for example - are with more plastics components in construction, and
  2. Business models are with more metal components - hence more rugged and higher price.

This is most likely universal in other brands.

Let us know how your repair effort is going.

Neuekind

HP Recommended
Please I need help on how to fix my HP elitebook 6930p because it has refuses to boot.
HP Recommended

06/24/14 - Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
HP Recommended
What problem do u have if u can say us the exact error we can help u resolve it.

Regars
HP Recommended
Hi neuekind.
Fortunately, i was able salvage both hinges from the laptop. The only replacement part i got was the bezel because mine was destroyed. I got it from ebay when i was in the US. You don't need to open up the whole laptop. It can get really messy.

You have to remove the hinge covers first. I can't explain that process because mine were already broken. You can break them too, it will look ugly but they don't do any thing useful anyway. Then proceed to removing the bezel by sticking a pointy object like a guitar pick between the bezel and the back cover. Slowly movebthe pick along the whole screen. You will hear a,'tuck' sound while doing that. Don't get scared, those are the locks coming off. Once you have removed the bezel, remove the screws that hold the back cover and the hinges together, or whats left of them. Now you can see that the plastic backing of the cover has come off. That is why the screws weren't able to hold the hinge together. Now, mark the points where the screw holes were. You can now drill the holes. I used the sharp edge screw driver that comes in a screw driver set. You will have to buy bolts of different sizes to see which ones fit.

this is the best choice you can make. Mine is still working. The hinges haven't troubled me since. Its been two years. No need to pay hp to fix it, it will break again.

Happy Fixing!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.