Re: HP Dv2500 (7721 Views)
Honor Student
sinor35
Message 1 of 10 (8,717 Views)

HP Dv2500

I currently have a HP Dv2500 Tag # dv2615nr. The unit just stopped working. The light on the a/c port lights up and the battery

is fully charged. When I press the power button nothing. I removed the battery, HD, and memory. Still nothing. The unit's warranty

expired December of last year. Best Buy and HP will not touch it. I am not going to spend alot of money of something that might be

a manufacture defect. any ideas?

Robert

Student
slford00
Message 2 of 10 (8,691 Views)

Re: HP Dv2500

That's interesting, b/c I came to this forum looking for help on the EXACT same problem.  I also have a HP dv2500 series notebook (dv2550se) with the same problem you described, and it also occurred about 3-4 months after my warranty expired.

It could be a coincidence, but I certainly find it interesting.

Honor Student
sinor35
Message 3 of 10 (8,665 Views)

It first stated with the wifi cutting in and out. Then the wifi just stopped working. Took it to best buy and they said oh your memory is gonig bad and needs to be replaced. That just it just powered off and will not start. I watched the battery led charge up and turn off showing a full charge.

HP knows their product is defective. Just like like sony who shipped out PS2 consoles with faulty components. They ended up fixing their units once enough people complained.

Robert

Honor Student
ahnah
Message 4 of 10 (8,588 Views)

**bleep** it ... mine is a HP Pavilion dv2500 (dv2615tx)

trying to shut down, it doesn't work .. now try to start up .. all light up but not showing any thing on screen. HELP !

bought around 14 months and repair twice 

Tutor
csimm
Message 5 of 10 (8,200 Views)

i think my dv2500 overheated, causing the HD to start ticking.

I bought a new hard drive, ordered recovery discs from HP.

now an errors shows up, "system recovery failed"

( LogFile4: C:\SYSTEM.SAV\video.log => FAILED in the CTOERROR.FLG text file)

does this error have to do with the video card or something ?

called HP, they said my motherboard is damaged.

OUT OF WARRANTY, JUST GREAT HP,

ap1 Honor Student
Honor Student
ap1
Message 6 of 10 (7,721 Views)

This model is notorious for overheating and the problems that go along with it.  I've lost a harddrive, two display adapters/motherboards, and even a DVD burner.  The computer has actually burned holes in my desk--I would blame IKEA except the computer would burn me too if it was sitting on my lap.

Of course, it's acting up again...  I have HP Total Care with accidental damage for three years, so they should fix it without any problems, but I'm tired of sending the computer in so often.

I really think they need to do something about these laptops.  I did find that they noticed an issue with other similar models, but the dv2500 wasn't included. (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us)

If anyone is looking for the direct line to an HP Case Manager (the highest level of HP customer service) , here's the number: 1-877-917-4380 x94 for laptop computers.  If you don't call within normal business hours (for Ontario Canada), then you will just be transferred to India or Brazil and told to call back.

If contacting the case managers doesn't work, see this article as a last resort: http://consumerist.com/259713/how-to-launch-an-executive-email-carpet-bomb

Hopefully all of those with problems will get some sort of resolution.

Top Student
Cosmic_AC
Message 7 of 10 (7,711 Views)

Strange - I have a dv5t, but it's getting the same issues as your dv2500s, and only a week and a half after the warranty expired.
Student
RalphLangham
Message 8 of 10 (5,980 Views)

I have over 43 years in the computer business and have relied on HP for the very reliable printers that they produce for myself and those I know act as a consultant for.  With this background I have been recommending the HP computer line to include their laptops.  This now appears to be a mistake.  Several have bought the DV 2500 laptops to include my daughter.  Right after her warantee was up, the laptop started acting up.  As she lives quite a distance away she took it to Best Buy and the "Geek Squad" there without hearing everything told her that the motherboard was bad and the amount to fix it was close to what a new "other brand" would cost and it would not be quaranteed.   Today I will be notifying the businesses that I consult to make sure they renew warantees on these machines and if possible bring them back to where they bought them and ask for a diferent brand.  From what I have read on this forum both Best Buy and HP know they have a problem and have no intention in living up to the hard earned reputation that they have.  This to me as a professional computer person is very sad as it takes a long time to build a reputation and a very short time to destroy it.  If you own one of these, be sure to back up all your data on a regular basis and be prepared to "throw away" what is obviously a bad product.  Ralph

Student
travtaz997
Message 9 of 10 (5,567 Views)

[ Edited ]

I had the EXACT same problem as Ralph about me.  Well, 98% of it.  I have a dv2500 that no longer works due to a fried motherboard.  When I was experiencing problems I took it into Geek Squad and they told me some other things and said they fixed it but they never did.

I contacted HP about this while my laptop was overheating and after several weeks of back and forth emails with someone it basically came down to all I could do was send my laptop to them for $400 for them to fix it because it was out of warenty.

I use to love HP.  We bought an HP printer, 3 laptops in total and as the computer guru for a lot of friends and family and even a consultant for my school districts technology services I will no longer recommend HP to anyone. 

For anyone that has an HP laptop that is experiencing problems like this I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND to leave it be.  Do not spend the money to try to fix it just buy another NONE HP laptop.

Student
PeeSeee
Message 10 of 10 (2,326 Views)

Hi,

I have a booting problem with my HP dv2500. I brought it to a computer service and  I have been told that I have a problem with the motherboard. I know almost nothing about computers and decided to ask my questions here with the hope sb to answer them soon. So I have been told that my Laptop is dead and nothing can be done to be repaired and I was asked 35 quit for transfering my data from HDD which is about 120 GB - is that a good price? Can't I do it by myself and what should I do? Can I repair my laptop at all? If not can I sell it in that condition or in seperate parts?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation