Question

Honor Student
jgravi
Message 1 of 3 (256 Views)

HP ENVY 15-j092nr

Hi,

Just received my Envy 15-j092nr today. I noticed a strange noise when I picked up the laptop. It sounds like a loose part in the hard drive or something. Definitely something trickling around internally, and it's really annoying. It must be the hard drive because it sometimes makes the noise when the laptop is reading/writing files. Anyone else have this problem? My specs are as follows:

AMD a10 5750m

750gb hybrid hard drive

16 gb ram

1920x1080 display

Teacher
Teacher
SGI
Message 2 of 3 (242 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 15-j092nr

Hi,

It is a hard drive media spinning sound. It can be a problem most of the times as it ends in hard drive failing. I would recommend checking through diagnostics. Sometimes a screw might be left in there, and it can also cause the same sound during spinning reverbations. 

Good luck!

Honor Student
jgravi
Message 3 of 3 (228 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 15-j092nr

Thanks for the reply. I opened up the RAM/Hard drive slot yesterday to take a look. There was a very small plastic piece floating around in there. I removed it, thinking that this was causing the noise. Nope. Still something else making a rattling sound every time I pick up the laptop and tilt it front/back and side/side. Must be a hard drive component. Really, really frustrating to spend $1,000 and wait 3 weeks for a product, just to have it arrive faulty out of the box. Do they not have a QC department? I took a risk buying my first HP, and I have to say I'm absolutely finished with this company. I work in IT and the sheer volume of faulty HP products that I've dealt with is unbelievable. And no, I don't have the time to spend 5 hours on the phone just to get them to accept a return. I should have known better. I'm going back to Apple.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation