Question
HP ENVY 15t-3200 Clickpad Randomly Clicks
Replies (29)

Tutor
aukutsutsu
Message 21 of 30 (400 Views)

Re: HP ENVY 15t-3200 Clickpad Randomly Clicks

[ Edited ]

I tried the settings again just for kicks and they make no difference.  Even after setting to default and adjusting the smart sense.

The main problem is simple:  If I turn tapping off, there should be no way for me to click without depressing the mouse.  But even with it turned off, I get random clicks, two-finger clicks, and even three finger clicks.

As far as I know, it isn't even possible to get a two-finger or three finger click without depressing the clickpad no matter what the settings are.  Yet I still get them at random without depressing the clickpad.  I don't know what it is, but something is definitely wrong.

Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 22 of 30 (387 Views)

I do appreciate your willingness to try. Have you already checked Synaptics driver version and BIOS version are up-to-date?  I know you said multiple versions of the Synaptics driver exhibit the same sypmtom but what about BIOS? FN + ESC will pull up a window with your current BIOS version. 

F.0B is the latest BIOS version

Also, by chance, have you upgraded to Windows 8 ?

Tutor
aukutsutsu
Message 23 of 30 (382 Views)

I have both the latest driver and BIOS. I did upgrade to Windows 8 which exhibited this same behavior. I had additional problems with display brightness not adjusting and Netlix wouldn't work as it said to update the graphics driver, but I was already on the latest windows 8 driver. Not having Netflix is a deal killer, so I restored back to windows 7.
Distinguished Professor
AxshunJaxun
Message 24 of 30 (361 Views)

When you restored back to Windows 7, did you use an HP OEM copy (such as recovery discs) or a retail copy of Window 7?

Tutor
aukutsutsu
Message 25 of 30 (356 Views)

I restored using the recovery partition.

Honor Student
UpsetHPOwner
Message 26 of 30 (291 Views)

There are amy of us out there that have this exact same problem.  IT CLICKS RANDOMLY...well not really random but without clicking.  It seems to be worse on dry days, hence I suspect some kind of static issues. 

I too have tried all the click pad SETTINGS...turning everything off, MAX on Smart Sense and nothing helps.  Tried all the different drivers, nothing.

Yet, HP still does not acknoledge it.  Even when you send in your computer to fix it, it is not fixed, then they say the warrenty has expired!

PLEASE SOMEONE (HP or others) FIND A SOLUTION!

Honor Student
deych
Message 27 of 30 (252 Views)

[ Edited ]

empty

Tutor
aukutsutsu
Message 28 of 30 (186 Views)

Well, I've sent my laptop in 4 times now.  After they replaced the touchpad the first time, the replacement had some new issue that made it unusable.  It took 3 additional times for them to at least get it back to only having the original random click problem.

They offered me a replacement after 3 times, but HP seems to have cheaped out in its laptops and they had no replacements with an IPS display, which is why I bought this laptop in the first place.  The finishing touches on the new ones also seem lacking in comparison to my model.

So, it seems I have a choice between getting my laptop replaced with what in my opinion is a lesser laptop, or live with the random clicking.  Both are pretty poor options.  It also seems they aren't going to update the video drivers to support changing the brightness in Windows 8, so I've stayed on 7 for now.  Oh well.

The one takeaway I've gotten from this experience is that my next computer will likely not be HP.  It's a shame because I really liked everything about this laptop if only the touchpad was normal and driver support was better.

Going through the warranty process was a pain.  I had to spend hours on the phone with people, and having to send it in several times means that I've been without it for over a month in the just over a year I've owned it.  It would be nice if HP at least had some sort of local repair process so I wouldn't have to deal with the shipping and all the associated wait time.

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 29 of 30 (166 Views)

Hi Aukutsutsu,

I have forwarded this off to the appropriate person. They will contact you directly.

Thank You.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
HP Support Agent
JeffHelp
Message 30 of 30 (163 Views)

12/27/13 - Jeff reached out to customer

I work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation