Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi guys.

I wonder if there are any solutions for the following problem I am having with my touchpad.

The touchpad mouse is imprecise. So when you move it to a precise position (for example, trying to close a page by pressing the X on any Windows program), the mouse moves AS SOON AS YOU LIFT YOUR FINGER OFF THE TOUCHPAD. So naturally, when you press the touchpad to confirm your action, you actually press something else! This happens about 20% of the time. So there are many times when you think you are selecting an icon, or pressing a button, and when you lift your finger from the touchpad, the mouse arrow moves about 1cm on the screen.

I have tried downgrading the Synaptics touchpad driver to an older version (which doesn't solve the problem). I have even tried to remove the driver completely, which results in the right-click button being totally disabled.

Please help, as this is a really basic requirement for any touchpad. I am currently a little disappointed as this is the most expensive laptop i have ever purchased. The touchpad/ imagepad has many functions, but the simple ability to be unable to point to exactly where you need to 20% of the time, is making this almost unusable.

Notebook details: HP Envy 17 - Windows 8.1 - Core i7-4702MQ - 12GB - 64 Bit - HD Touchscreen - LeapMotion  Purchased December 2013.

I look forward to your help guys! Thank you.

58 REPLIES 58
HP Recommended

Hi Supak, sorry to hear that you are having issues with the Touch Pad on your notebook. I do appreciate that you listed information about your notebook, however I will need to know the exact model number that is listed on the bottom of the computer under the battery on a white sticker. It will look something like " Envy 17-3000" series.  Please write back at your convenience and I will be happy to help.

Thank you. 

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Waterboy71.

The model number is:  17-j161ea     (I can't believe I left this information out from my initial query)!

Thanks for considering my request, and hopefully this may lead to a solution.

HP Recommended

Hello again SupaK, thank you for responding back with the computer information.  I have done some investigating and I have found a troubleshooting document that deals with Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad.  Now this document is for Windows 8 but it will work just fine on the 8.1 operating system.  Please click on the link to get to the document.  

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

If you are still having issues, please let me know.

Thank you again.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Waterboy71.

I tried this document a few days ago, but the problem I have was not listed among the potential list of issues. However, I have gone back to the normal windows touchpad settings and checked the "Enhance pointer precision" box. This seems to have helped a lot, although the issue still exists - but not as much. (Strangely, I have checked this box in the past, without it making much difference to the issue. But it seems to be helping right now).

Many thanks for your assistance Waterboy 71.

HP Recommended

Hello again Supak. I'm happy to hear that we got the issue somewhat resolved. Now seeing that we have used the document that I sent and you stated that you attempted the older version of the driver, I suggest that we attempt to use this new driver that I have found. Please click on the link to get to the driver.  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-123980-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en...

If this does NOT resolve the issue, you may have a hardware issue with the touch pad and if that is the case then I suggest that you contact HP Total care at 1-800-474-6836 or if this number is outside your calling area, please click on the following link to get to HP Total Care in your area.    http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html

Please let me know if this information helps.

Thanks again for your time.

W a t e r b o y 71
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi Waterboy71.

I'm actually already using this driver. I've downloaded and reinstalled the driver again anyway, using the link you provided. The mouse movements are the same. (i.e. occassionally, the arrow on the screen moves slightly when my finger is removed from the imagepad).

I believe this is a software problem because choosing the "enhance pointer precision" under the Windows mouse options, improves the situation - but obviously, the problem still remains.

Several months after it was announced, I was never able to find any reviews for this laptop before I purchased it. I hope that any reviews for this laptop will mention any potential mouse issues.

I greatly appreciate your help in this matter. Hopefully Synaptics will release a better update for the imagepad.

Many thanks Waterboy71.

HP Recommended

Hi!

Any news on this issue? I recently got an HP Envy 17 J061SS, and I have the same problem. It's quite frustrating, I used to work with some software which requires precision (like PCB design ones) with the touchpad of my previous laptop, and now it's a nightmare... Everytime I remove the finger from the surface, the cursor moves a bit, enough to make you loose your patience after correcting the mouse position... several hundred times? And it's a shame, because it has lots of cool features.

I really hope there is an update soon, I have the last same version -> 17.0.8 working on Win 8.1.

Thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi bernat.

Unfortunately, there has been no progress with this problem either from HP or Synaptics. It is frustrating and disappointing, but ticking the "enhance pointer precision" appears to make some difference, (although sadly, the random mouse movement continues to remian).

Hopefully we'll have some news in a few months....

HP Recommended

I have the same exact problem. Just bought an Envy 14-k026TX in Taiwan and the touchpad is driving me crazy, it seemed to move around randomly every once in a while and I would end up clicking a little distance from where I wanted to click. Finally found this post and figured out that I have the same symptoms, the cursor will move slightly ~10% of the time right when I lift my finger off the pad, thus causing any clicks to happen off target. I agree with the other posters, this seems like a s/w or driver issue. HP please get this resolved ASAP!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.