Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY TouchSmart M7-K010DX

Hello.

I have HP ENVY TouchSmart M7-K010DX  17.3".

Is it have place inside to put second HDD, i wanna put SSD as secon HDD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is no place to put a second full sized (2.5 inch) hard drive or SSD. The is an M.2 mSATA slot but it takes removing the motherboard to get to it. Overall, this laptop is very hard to service. Even reaching the memory and hard drive requires major disassembly and jeopardizing the warranty. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

There is no place to put a second full sized (2.5 inch) hard drive or SSD. The is an M.2 mSATA slot but it takes removing the motherboard to get to it. Overall, this laptop is very hard to service. Even reaching the memory and hard drive requires major disassembly and jeopardizing the warranty. Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

You could use an adapter in place of the CD carriage . . . right??? http://www.amazon.com/Protronix-Optical-Drive-Caddy-Universal/dp/B004XIUQYA?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=t...

HP Recommended

Optical caddy is not a good idea for a solid state drive. The interface is slower so you lose the speed of the SSD. You can put the SSD inside the laptop and then put the HDD in the optical bay for just storage.  

HP Recommended

Sounds bogus to me! There is only one storage controller, the SATA controller, if the SATA controller is handling both slots as it should, how can it be slower?

HP Recommended

How can the same computer have both USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports?  Its the same controller, right? Its the design and speed can be set on a per port basis. In fact you are somewhat correct. Traditionally the optical port is one SATA level lower than the HDD port but on recent models this seems to be going by the wayside and if you ave a 7th or 8th gen system you might just have an optical port set to run at SATA-3 speeds.  

HP Recommended

Bogus! totally bogus dud! 

I replaced the DVD rom with a Solid state disk, I used clonezilla to clone my HDD and hell now disk access has improved a whole lot. So I booted linux and check the Link speed of the sata ports, I don't know how to check that with W10, and the link speed on both sata ports is 6Gbps!    This of course was not true when the DVD was hooked in the slot, it was 1.5 Gbps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.