Question

Student
Hanashi
Message 1 of 2 (2,566 Views)

HP ENVY m4 keyboard problem

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, since I'm in Mexico, but anyways.. recently I bought an ENVY m4-1050 Laptop (LA keyboard), and now my letter "o" key is failing.

Basically, what happens is that I press the key and.. well, nothing happens. If I press it slightly stronger (sometimes from a different angle or repeateadly), then the key works, but  if I try to use shift+o, it doesn't work again.

Sometimes I get short periods when it works normally (it seems to be related with how many times I press it, as if the key needed to warm-up), but sometimes it doesn't work that way (I'm having a hard time finding a pattern).

Also, sometimes the letter is duplicated as if I had pressed the key twice.

I haven't dropped any liquid (or anything at all) on the KB. I haven't dropped the laptop, I practically never move it from my desk and I never use it in my lap, mm...  I'm using the default configuration for the KB (Spanish).

I haven't installed anything that might trigger this problem.

Is this a hardware problem? What can I do to fix it? I have read around that BIOS recovery might fix some KB problems, but I don't want to meddle with that stuff since I wouldn't know what I'll be doing but following some guy's guide.

I don't want to void my warranty by opening this thing, heck.. I'm not even sure if this issue is warranty material (maybe if I sum it up with my two lovely unstuckable pixels and the drooping DVD case..?)

Can it be significant that the stuck pixels I mentioned are very near to where the "o" key is when the case is closed?

Can it be that my machine got hit while being shipped right in that spot causing the stuck pixels and damaging the key?

Anyways, any idea is welcome. I cannot afford to have this problem since I'm a professional translator and I REALLY need a 100% functional KB. To be honest, the touch and feel of this keyboard was basically the only reason I bought this model, I can't believe I'm having a problem so soon, :smileysad:

Thanks in advance,

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 2 of 2 (2,521 Views)

Re: HP ENVY m4 keyboard problem

Hello Hanashi,

I understand you the O key doesn’t always work, is that correct? I will be happy to help you.

It sounds like more of a keyboard issue and normally the warranty will cover it.

Try resetting the BIOS settings and see if that helps. (Note this will not affect the OS or your files)

1. Locate the F10 key on the keyboard.
  2. Turn the computer on and immediately start tapping the F10 key.
  3. If successful you should load into a bios setup screen. (Note to navigate you will need to use the arrow keys only)
  4. Press F9 to setup BIOS defaults
  5. Press F10 to save and exit.

When you get back to the main screen open up 3 different programs to test the O key in.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation