Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Almost identical issuee to this thread so I know this is not an isolated issue: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Envy-x360-keyboard-double-repea...

Just bought the HP ENVY x360 15-u010dx last week. I've noticed occasionally that when I type, a letter will be repeated for no apparent reason. It is sporadic and I cannot reproduce it on command, it just randomly happens, even when I try to type slow.  I changed the keyboard repeat delay to long like suggested in the troubleshooting article. It has not helped and this is a rather frustrating issue for me as a college student who needs to type notes and papers on my laptop. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello @jvecz,  welcome to the HP Forums.

It appears that you're having an issue with the notebook and keys repeating. I will try to assist you with this.

As you've linked that other thread, did you try the document that was suggested in it? If so, how did you make out? If you haven't, please start with that.

From there I would also recommend doing all updates available for your notebook. Both Windows updates and HP. The HP updates can be done by using the HP Support Assistant.

Something else to test, is to see if you also have the issue using an external keyboard. You will have to check what ports your notebook has to see what type of keyboard you can use to test with (most likely will need to be a usb). This, may help give indication if the issue could be hardware related.

I will leave you to start with this, please let me know how everything goes.
Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Futoji,

I got in contact with an hp support agent 2 days ago. We went through a whole bunch of steps and determined it was a hardware problem with the actual keyboard. I exchanged it for another one but it also had the same issue. In fact, even the floor model at my local best buy had the issue. It is my belief that my local best buys (I got 1 from 2 separate locations) got a batch with faulty keyboards. It is unfortunate as aside from the issue I really liked the computer but as a student I could not take the time to send it to HP for repair so I exchanged it for a different model. I recommend you guys investigate into this issue as there may have been some sort of defect in a recent shipment to my area Best Buys. The Best Buy employee told me that many  laptops of this model have been returned in the past few weeks. The Best Buys are in Syracuse, NY. I hope this helps you guys out.

HP Recommended

The answer you need is here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Keyboard-has-a-tendency-to-repeat-keystrokes-maaking/...

I tried all the other suggested fixes: BIOS updates/changes; keyboard settings, uninstalling drivers, etc. The link above, which will lead you through changing the "Bounce Key Rate" in the Registry was finally the fix.

I had three HP Envy computers in a row with this problem - many hours wasted with fixes and returns. No one at HP could ever figure it out - thanks to 'talkingtoaj2' for figuring out HP's problem. He should get compensated!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.