Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am trying to figure out how to turn off the pointing stick and related top row of click buttons above the touch pad.  They make typing without accidentally selecting and clicking on thing a pain in the butt.  I have searched and searched and can't find anything.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Those links were incredibly helpful - thank you!  I was able to disable both the buttons and the stick.  Thank you for saving me from further frustration!

HP Recommended

Those links don't work for me. Could someone just post the solution please?

I want to leave the buttons on the touchpad working  but disable the pointing stick buttons. Thanks.

----------

Edit. Hey, I found a fix. The stick buttons rock back so if you just slide a small piece of card in the gap at the front, it stops it from moving. Not elegant, but effective. If you want to remove it again, just hook it out with a pin. You're welcome. 🙂

HP Recommended

Look in your system tray for the synaptics pointing device icon,
(it's likely to be  in with the hidden icons and red colored)
Right click on the Synaptics Pointing Device and then choose Pointing Device Properties.
A mouse properties window opens up.  Choose the 'Device Settings' tab.
Scroll down list to 'Synaptics TouchStyk Buttons V2.0 on PS/2 Port 0'.(make sure it's highlighted).
Click the disable button.
Click apply and it should then change the status from yes enabled to no enabled
Click okay.
The top set of pointing device buttons should now be disabled.

Hope this helps 🙂

HP Recommended

>Those links don't work for me.

Sorry, those were from the posts in the old EBC forum and I guess they didn't get translated when they moved to the HP Consumer Support forum in May 2015.

You should be able to use the words in the URL in the search box and then find:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Disable-Touchpad-BUTTONS-on-an-...

You can also get them translated by pasting them into the address bar and changing the URLfrom h30434 to h30499:

http://h30499/www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-HP-ProBook-ZBook/Disable-Touchpad-BUTTONS-on-an-EliteBook-8570w/m-p/6094713

This then gets translated to 5071073 above.

HP Recommended

Please tell me how to enable bpth the pointing stick and the buttons under spacebar.

HP Recommended

Please tell me if you have got the answer from somewhere else.

HP Recommended

Thank-you. I was just looking for this and I happened to see this thread on Google, and it worked flawlessly. Excellent advice.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.