Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 8540p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I forgot to take my AC adapter along with my laptop yesterday so I tried a Dell AC that didn't seem to do anything. Next I found another AC not meant for laptops, plugged it in and sure enough my laptop turned off. I had about 10% battery left and now my laptop won't turn on or charge up even when plugging the right HP AC adapter that came with it 😞

I hope I didn't fry anything. Please help, what can I do ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, my warranty is over.

I ordered a new motherboard and hope I can replace it myself without breaking anything or losing any screws 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like you are not able to Power ON the Notebook and wanting to fix the issue

Please perform below shown steps to find out if this is a Software or Hardware Issue:

1. Remove all Peripherals and Cables, Disconnect them and try to Power ON the Unit

2. Check for LED Light Status and ensure Power Button spring action is normal

3. Swap with a known good Power Cord and Power Adapter

4. Incase no Adapter is available, Check if the Power Adapter is slightly warm

Note: This will give us a hint that the Power Adapter might be fine

5. Do you know if the Notebook was in Battery or Power Adapter Mode when you used it for the last time

Note: Ensure there is no liquid spillage or Power Outage

6. Check if the AC Adapter Port is loose/broken

Note: If the Notebook doesn't Power ON even with a known good Power Adapter this confirms the Hardware fault with System Board or the DC Power Circuit

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

1. I did. I removed the HDD and RAM memory too, tried to power on with/without battery - didn't work.

2. The led always stays off (on battery or power cable only - same). Power Button spring action is OK.

3. I am using the Power Cord / Adapter that came with the laptop they are working fine.

4. I didn't check that yet.

5. The laptop was in battery mode with about 15% battery left when it shut down. As I said I plugged another Power Adapter to the laptop and I think it fried it. The laptop shut down immediatly (with 15% battery left) and I can't power it on anymore.

6. All OK.

I guess my last chance is hardware support ?

HP Recommended

According to the message you have recently posted I would like to confirm that this is a hardware issue and I strongly recommend you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance to get your Notebook diagnosed and serviced by an authorized HP Certified Engineer

You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

GBL84

I am not an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, my warranty is over.

I ordered a new motherboard and hope I can replace it myself without breaking anything or losing any screws 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.