Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hey there,

1 week ago, I've bought my new pc ( HP Elitebook 8760w, LG670EA#UUG, with Windows 7 64-bit) because I need it for my studies. And after a couple of days my pc started with restarting by himself, but not immediatly after starting up my pc, just at variable moments. Well yesterday it happend 4-5 times in one day and I became sick of it so I went to the internet and found this solution (http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSe...), but when I follow the steps and start HP Support Assistant, it says there is no update avaible, so I think BIOS isn't the problem. (note: in HP Support Assistant, next to the HP Total Care-logo it says "An error has occurred")

What can I do instead of updating BIOS? Or can someone help me? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok, a couple hours ago I've reset my profile in HP Power Assistant from "Balanced" to "HP Optimized" and now it stopped restarting itself so I hope it doesn't come back, but for me this topic is closed 😉

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi,

Personally, as you've just purchased the notebook, I would recommend returning it to the retailer and get a replacement - you shouldn't have to be troubleshooting a brand new machine.

Regards,

DP-K

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

****Click the White thumb to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
****I don't work for HP****

Windows Insider MVP

HP Recommended

Ok, a couple hours ago I've reset my profile in HP Power Assistant from "Balanced" to "HP Optimized" and now it stopped restarting itself so I hope it doesn't come back, but for me this topic is closed 😉

HP Recommended
Did this ultimately solve the problem long-term for you?
HP Recommended

Do you have Intel VT-x enabled? Are you running any VMs in VMware Workstation?

HP Recommended

Well eventualy the problem came back. But when I tried a lot of solutions, the only solution that worked was: buying a new memory card. 

HP Recommended

Do you have Intel VT-x enabled in BIOS? What BIOS version are you using? I just applied F.27, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=32...

Are you using VMware Workstation to run VMs?

How many memory cards do you have installed? Are you talking about the RAM? Which size, how many sticks?

I have 2x4GB of HP that came with it and then I added 2x4GB of Patriot. I have tried running with just the HP or just the Patriot and experienced the random reset with both configurations, including using all four sticks at once. So for me, it doesn't appear that it would be memory related.

When did you put in the new memory?

Thanks in advance for asking answering these. You're the only other person I've seen with this same issue.

HP Recommended

Hello,

I'm using VirtualBox instead of VMware Workstation, so I guess that this is not the cause of the problem.

And I've got the newest BIOS version of HP, but I'm not sure if I've enabled Intel VT-x.

Well if you've already changed your memory card, I guess the problem is indeed not memory related. 

Someone I know, had the same problem and also tried the solution with the memory card, but it didn't work for him. So the next thing he did was sending his laptop back and asking for a new motherboard and then the problem was gone ;). (this was done by the helpdesk of our school, so he didn't had to pay for it. So I don't know how much it would cost and how long it would take). 

Greets,

Tim

HP Recommended
Thanks. My work gave me a different 8760 and I moved the hard drive over. Issue still occurred. Ghosted to a new hard drive, same issue. Reinstalled Windows, same issue.

Did the person you know also have an 8760? Did they do any virtualization stuff?
HP Recommended

He also had an 8760w and he also did some virtualization stuff, but only the basic stuff for school ;). 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.