Question

Honor Student
RifterAD
Message 1 of 10 (12,520 Views)

HP Envy 15 (1050nr) doesn't power up.

I have a HP Envy 15 (1050nr) doesn't power up as of today.  It has been working like a champ until yesterday when it turned itself off.  I just figured my wife did it, but I found out that she didn't.  Anyways, today it simply turned itself off in the middle of using it.  Now it won't turn on no matter what I do.  I have tried it with a battery in and plugged in.  Tried with without a batter but still plugged in.  I also tried it on battery only...all without any effect.  No LED's light up (even the one on the power button or the white/orange one next to the power input).  I measured power brick's output and it is still putting out power.  Is there something inside the laptop that I can try to replace, or will I probably have to replace the entire montherboard?  

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 10 (12,470 Views)

Re: HP Envy 15 (1050nr) doesn't power up.

Perform a hard reset on the Notebook. To perform a hard reset, follow the steps below.

• Unplug the AC adapter from the notebook PC.
  • Remove the battery from the notebook battery compartment.
  • Disconnect any external devices or peripherals connected to the notebook. Press and hold down the power button for about 15 seconds

Only connect the ac adapter to the Notebook and check if it powers ON. If there is  a light on power supply port (on side where you connect power adapter) and notebook is not powering up, probably its an issue with motherboard on the Notebook. 

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
RifterAD
Message 3 of 10 (12,458 Views)

I tried your steps (more than once just to be sure), unfortunately the LED on the power supply port is not coming on.  It is as I feared...I need a new motherboard.  :smileysad: 

Although it sucks that it is past my warranty period, at least something good happened...it waited until 5 days AFTER I completed my online degree! 

It was definitely the best laptop I've had to-date.  Awesome screen, great performance, good customer support, and all in the perfect size (for me).  I'd get the Envy-14 if I could still get the radiance screen, but now that'll never happen.  Oh well...

Thanks for helping me troubleshoot it.

Honor Student
Jcromani
Message 4 of 10 (11,006 Views)

I had the same problem. As I read in another post, the problem seems to be the beats audio button getting stuck. I post the solution in here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/HP-Envy-15-3012tx-Beats-Volume-Dial-button-gets-Stuck...

If your warranty is over and you are deseperate, try it.

Honor Student
jonkar901
Message 5 of 10 (9,139 Views)

My Envy shut down two days ago now there is to many people with this same problem.  What do we do to fix this and were can we go for I will not be making a new purchase i just got it.  I will not be paying or loosing money for a system that does not function

Honor Student
jonkar901
Message 6 of 10 (9,137 Views)

Me to my has been down for two days. I would not replace nothing my is not even old i just got it so i will return it and i want my money back. Go with another brand
Honor Student
jonkar901
Message 7 of 10 (9,137 Views)

You sure it says to NEVER remove the battery
Honor Student
jonkar901
Message 8 of 10 (9,136 Views)

sounds like an inside scam....HP needs to stop this I just got my Envy 2 months ago and you post this back in september 2011
Regents Professor
Cloud_Strider
Message 9 of 10 (9,134 Views)

@jonkar901,

It sounds like the unit is within warranty since you got it two months ago.

I recommend contacting HP to have it serviced.  As long as it is in warranty and it is covered, it shouldn't cost you anything to have it serviced.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Student
Itsme14
Message 10 of 10 (1,663 Views)

Seems I've had a "special" friend since well let's say long enough to go through 8 phones tablets desktops and various pads and tablets.. I just last night purchased the hp envy for I do music well used too - another story before hacker joined my life. My problem is he has an old iPod touch that has all my info so I get a new device he uploads old firmware faster than I can get the new one set with a pass word- now this one locked out wondow key with #8 doesn't bring me back to command screen... Now what?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation