Question

Top Student
Lizardwithhat
Message 1 of 5 (232 Views)

HP Envy 15 Touchsmart doesn't see SSD

I bought a mSata 64GB SSD from Adata and put it into my laptop. (HP Envy 15 Touchsmart) 

The computer doesn't see the SSD at all, not in my computer, device manager, Disk management, nowhere. 

I tried updating the BIOS, didn't help. Even the BIOS doesn't see it (from what I can tell) 

I want to try to get Intel smart response and Intel rapid start to work but the SSD is nowhere to be found. 

I am not sure what to do, I have read in several places that you need to reinstall the OS to make it work with smart response but before that the SSD should at least be visible, shouldn't it? 

HP Windows

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 5 (223 Views)

Re: HP Envy 15 Touchsmart doesn't see SSD

Hi,

The mSATA drive can be used as a cache for the primary drive, it will not show up under My Computer.

In device manager it should show up under the Disk Drives category, it should also show up in the BIOS under the Main tab as MSATA/Port1.

If the computer can't see it, must be something is not right during the installation.

Regards.

Note: It's a lot slower than normal SSD

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Lizardwithhat
Message 3 of 5 (222 Views)

Thank you, so I checked once again, but in device manager under disk drives there is only one item and it is the 500GB HDD

I also checked the main tab in the BIOS and it is not showing up there either. 

Could you expand on what you mean with: "must be something is not right during the installation." ? 

Provost
banhien
Message 4 of 5 (206 Views)

Hi,

HP does not suppy a list of supported SSD's (for mSATA), please check the following firmware to see your machine can use it or not:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&softwareitem=ob-120600-1

and:

HP Notebook PCs - mSATA Solid State Drives Are Not Detected

Good luck.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Top Student
Lizardwithhat
Message 5 of 5 (198 Views)

Nope that still didn't do it, I do notice now though that the SSD is generating an extreme amount of heat, more than my laptop ever generated even with heavy gaming but the PC has mostly been sitting idly. I will get an mSata to sata adapter and see if my desktop can see it. 

Any other suggestions before giving up? 

Thanks a lot by the way. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation