Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

hey so when i started up hp envy 15 laptop this morning i had a problem. it turned on then gave me this message instantly:

"The system BIOS has detected a possible issue with the cooling fan.

The cooling fan is an important part of a notebook PC. Operation of a notebook  PC for an extended period of time with out the cooling fan may result in permanent damage to the notebook PC.

Cooling fan (902)

ENTER -Shutdown

For more information, please visit: [broken link removed]

BUT i also hear the fan when it starts and while it is still on so i know its working! And the only thing i can do i press ENTER to shut it down or press the power button to shut it down, and if i leave it on it will automatically shut down after 56 sec.

so if anyone knows what the problem is and how to fix it please tell thanks!

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Removing broken link

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

bugbuddha360,

HP just released a new BIOS for the Envy 15 that resolves this issue.

-wes

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixing broken link

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

well thanx BUT i took a smell of the vents of the laptop and i could smell burnt plastic so i think what has happend is the fan melted because the laptop does get really hot

HP Recommended

An even newer version of the BIOS has been released for the 902 error:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&softwareitem=ob-82185... 

wes

Edit by Katie_H (3/30/11): Fixing broken link

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Does anyone have a copy of 15-1050ca F.07 BIOS?  I upgraded the BIOS to F.24 and now the fans don't work and HP has taken the BIOS updates offline!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

HP Recommended

Version:F.2A A is here

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I have the same issue. Right fan doesn't ever turn on and randomly get the 902 Error when it boots up.

I am using the latest BIOS update: F.2A. Still no improvement.

HP Recommended

I've got the same issue as mdunn9900. My ENVY 15 just came in yesterday, started it up, got the error on the first boot. After a while, I tried again and it worked. Went in and checked, and it's already got the most recent BIOS update (F.2A). It's still giving me the error pretty commonly.

EDIT: I'm messing with it a bit right now, and it seems like it's displaying the error every time unless I've got it on a cooling stand (Zalman NC-2000), in which case it only displays the error every once in a while.

HP Recommended

If you are having this issue please check to make sure you have the latest BIOS version on your Notebook, below is the one for the Envy 15

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-85150-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&...

If this does not resolve your issue please reply and put in your BIOS version and issue

Good luck.

I am an HP employee
Knowledge is power...Power to the people
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have the same problem with my HP Pavilion dv6 2180el

I tried to download the BIOS update that resolve this problem (from an other computer)... but now HOW CAN I INSTALL IT on my pc if I can't load windows and there is just that screen?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.