Question

Student
yuvi
Message 1 of 11 (8,016 Views)

HP Envy 17 3xxx Series - Keyboard + Touchpad problems

Hi,

I just got a couple of days ago my HP Envy 17 (not 3D), and I noticed a big problem with the keyboard: while typing sometimes the keyboard would miss some keystrokes. It's really frustrating, especially since I was planning in using this Notebook for work (developing)...but with such keyboard it becomes impossible to write...

For me the problem seems to be related to touching the touchpad while using the keyboard. For example, if I open Windows Explorer, and in the address bar I keep typing a letter (e.g. 'qqqqqqqqqq..'), and then (while still pressing repeatedly the key) I start touching a bit the touchpad I see some pauses, or better: missing key strokes

I also tried with the touchpad disable, but again the same thing happens.

I read somewhere to try disabling the Action Keys in the BIOS..I tried that to no avail :smileysad:

I hope you can fix this problem because I would be very sad to return the laptop (I really love everything about it).

Thanks,

Yuvi

Honor Student
eritose
Message 2 of 11 (7,889 Views)

Re: HP Envy 17 3xxx Series - Keyboard + Touchpad problems

same problem here. 

very frustrating.

and also, the touchpad does not work at all for click-and-drag in Ubuntu 11.10. What to do?

Associate Professor
Sanchertx
Message 3 of 11 (7,883 Views)

Hello,

Please use the Palm Check feature on this touchpad.

You will want to shut off the feaure in the synaptics control panel.

I am an HP employee.

"Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button or mark the post that solved your problem as the Accepted Solution. Thanks!"
Student
Rasmus_SN
Message 4 of 11 (7,872 Views)

I have bought a HP Envy 17-3010eo 19th of December 2011

I have similar problems with the keyboard, which often miss keystrokes while I am typing.

This is a high-end notebook, and NOT ok.

Do the HP Envy 17-3010eo have a hardware problem? ... and how can I fix this, any bios updates which would help?

//Rasmus

Honor Student
eritose
Message 5 of 11 (7,788 Views)

Still no fix for the keyboard? it misses out on keys all the time!!

:smileysad:

Student
Riddersholm
Message 6 of 11 (7,670 Views)

I have the same poblem, my Envy 17 is bourght in december 2011

Any one there can help - I really would appriciate it.

Top Student
horrorfangirl
Message 7 of 11 (7,532 Views)

Please see my post below as a possible fix for your issue, it worked for me and I found it on accident:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Hp-Envy-17-3090-NR-Typing-Issue-Keyboard-Issue-Typing...
Student
MGrosni
Message 8 of 11 (7,134 Views)

Hi

I've own a Envy17 since one week and have the same problem. My solution was -> deinstalle the ps2 keyboard, reboot, then reboot again (ps2 keyboard is back), and curiosly it's working, no lost chapters and fast response.

Student
TechBob
Message 9 of 11 (6,959 Views)

Love this computer, screen & keyboard - but this touchpad is worse than useless. This is a serious fault in an otherwise well-designed notebook; I'm not sure if it's a poorly implemented driver or just a bad piece of hardware. I cannot use it at all - and you cannot "disable" by default; everytime it comes out of "sleep mode" - you have to turn off the trackpad.

I have tried virtually every combination of settings I can discover (disabling gestures & scrollling, adjusting "SmartSense" & restricting the touch area to a small portion of the touchpad, etc) and still cannot type without accidentally triggering a random cursor movement that will do REALLY annoying things like "send" a partially written & un-proofed email (not cool).

My only recourse has been to place another keyboard OVER the touchpad area to use - so that it cannot be touched accidentally and I don't have to manually "double-cllck" the magic spot to disable each time I use the computer.  Seriously - there must be a way to fix such an obvious flaw in an all other counts excellent unit?

Student
tanstaafl_42
Message 10 of 11 (6,249 Views)

Thank you, that worked, to solve the typing issue I was having with the missing keystrokes and text that wouldto stay selected or try to be in a selection process so I couldn't type at all.  Unfortunately now I can't get through typing a sentence at all without accidenteally resetting my selection point to the middle of the preceeding paragraph by accidentally touching the trackpad or hovering over it and somehow moving the cursor while I'm typing!!!!!  I think i'm going to hafve to try to return this to Costco and hope they take it back even thoguh I don't have all my original stuf f and it's been more than 30 days (because I wasn't planning on returning, I never do, I'm good with computers and have never had a problem I couldn't fix before - this is riduculous!).

Do you know of any other solutions?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation