Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Paul_R_L 

Thank you for using HP support forum. I have sent you a private message. If you’re unsure how to check your private messages please click here.
Thank you,
Omar

I Work for HP
HP Recommended

Well, the right hinge mounts in the base of my DV7-7010US broke off completely the other day.  The HP PartsSurfer says the base part number was superseded.  "Part 681970-001 is no longer supplied. Please order the replacement, 707999-001."  The new part is available on Amazon (?) and on eBay, but I'm cheap and fixed mine for a couple of dollars.

The DV7 repair manual details how to disassemble your laptop.  I used some JB Weld putty to build up the area where the mounts were broken off.  (Work quick and make sure you have it leveled.  It sets up in about 3-5 minutes.)   I used a  7/64 drill bit to drill through the case (on of the hinge mount holes lines up with an existing screw hole on the back.)  Then I used 3.0mm x 14.0mm machine screws inserted from the back and fastened with 3.0mm nuts.  Solid !

Img_0095.jpg

Img_0098.jpg

HP Recommended
Going to try to fix it myself...
HP Recommended

I have not re-assembled mine yet, but you will have to trim some of the plastic on the insdie of the top cover where it will interfere with the screws/nuts.

Finding the screws was a challenge.  You won't find those screws in your local hardware store or computer store.  Look for a "fastener" store near you (yp.com).  You can probably find them on eBay or at BoltDeport.com ($$).  I put a drop of nail polish on top to lock the nuts on to the screws.

Button head screws with Allen or Torx might look better.

HP Recommended

Re-assembled successfully !

I did loose a bit of the right hand corner of the case bottom.

HP Recommended

So I've followed the instructions in the private message, emailed the details requested to Help@hp.com three days ago. And heard ... nothing whatsoever. Not even an acknowledgement. Somewhat less than impressed with the "official" process here.

Paul

HP Recommended

I have had mine 13 months.  Same thing, back left hinge of a computer that I take very good care of.  What is the solution and super secret private message?  I love the laptop and just want it fixed.

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem.  Had the computer less than a year.  Can I get instructions to get it fixed please.  Thank you

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem. Hinges started seperating the case, and now pieces of black plastic and bronze fittings have come out of the computer. Can someone send me a msg on how to fix this?

HP Recommended

I have the Envy M6 1225dx. Few months back I also noticed the same problem and temporarily fixed it with attaching screw with proper drill holes in the same manner.

But I think eventually I have to replace it with a new body case. Not sure which part number I should look for to buy a new body case for my model.
Any idea?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.