Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

@Cherryoha

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Below is my post from August.  When customer service responded the first thing said was about warrenty and I should have contacted HP sooner. Then asked if I wanted extended warrenty. I agree, HP is profitting from their flaw in design.

When I sent my computer in for hinge repair, they asked me to list all issues I have been experiencing. They were - magnifying screen without my initiating, very sporatic.  

keyboard not responding with left/right click.

computer running hot.

HP called me during repair and said they were not able to recreate magnifying and keyboard problems listed, which I knew would be the case.  I told them just to send it back with hinge and heating resolved. My computer seem to be fine, still the magnifying and right left  clicking occasionally surfaced.  About 2 months ago HP contacted me, probably due to negative answers on their survey, and asked if I had issues. The right/left clicking was a constant problem and because I was at work she what would be a good time and told her 5pm would be better. Of course I missed the call while in the bathroom. I called back immediately got the recording left message explaing missed call and I'd like to receive call whenever rep was available. That was the last from HP. I can't believe how a company can avoid taking responsiblity on something so transparent in this forum. I will continue to speak out against HP until they resolve my  issues. I am also pursuing othe avenues of recourse as I'm sure hinge will again loosen (per forum posts) and my dealing with HP will continue.

August:

To begin with, my hinge issue began 1 month before my 1 yr. warranty expired which left me to pay $177 for repair. My same hinge issue can be found by a large number of HP owners on their forums all believing it is an HP design flaw usually occurring after 7+ months. I even discovered a history of this flaw in which HP for short time period consented to fix the hinges without charge, but never admitted being at fault nor did anything to correct the design. That being said, my only resolution after emailing HP customer service, was to pay for repair to which customer service was diligent in handling my repair as per their HP guidelines but nothing more.

Start by listening to customers and address their issues and concerns. I initially emailed support management outlining my hinge issue and complaint of HP design flaw. After my email I received phone calls and emails from customer support wanting to rectify my hinge issues, but nothing from management. I feel my complaint was referred to customer service as an urgent repair request. The issue of design flaw was never addressed and continues to be an issue for current HP owners and future buyers of the flawed design. It is questionable when a company gives a year warranty and ignores numerous complaints of factory flaws, leaving customers no recourse but to pay for what many feel is no fault of their own and is the company’s responsibility.

HP Recommended

11/23/15  Jeff reached out to customer 

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

The stories continue...  thanks for posting your story about the HP ENVY hinge failure and HP's response to the issue.  The sad part in your story is that these hinges don't fail suddenly.  They slowly begin to sag in the corner, then begin to make a slight noise and eventually, the case begins to separate as the failure increases.  By the time you notice it, it may have been going on for months, which means yours likelyh began to fail while still in warranty.

And...  your's is another example of various prices charged to fix the same problem. 

So sad that HP can't get this right.

HP Recommended

I've got the same problem with my Envy. Can someone from HP get back to me with repair options?

HP Recommended

@Crissi123

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Here's what I did on my 15" Envy Touchsmart, sorry I took no pics.

1. remove battery, service cover (1 screw and the rest are clips)

2. disconnect the hdd ribbon cable on the mb (pry up the little black tab), remove hard drive

3. remove ram (spread the little clips, ram pops up)

3.  disconnect wfi coax (2) and wifi board

4. get all the screws, including 2 under the front rubber pads

5.  pry the back cover off, lots of clips, no need to remove the top or screen bezel.

6. remove the broken plastic standoffs & brass inserts on the left side (of the top, under the hinge), there are 2. 1 is for the case bottom, 1 is for the top. You may see only 1 broken but both WILL fail.

7. drill from the bottom through the 2 hinge holes through the top.

8. I used 2 2-56x3/8" socket head screws (cause I had 'em) and #2 washers through the top, secured on the bottom of the hinge by nylon lock nuts. 

9. Now the hinge is secured to the top

10. I had to Dremel out some plastic on the bottom to clear the lock nuts, that standoff was broken anyway

12. Re-assemble the case. I dremeled the tops of the socket heads so they wouldn't interfere when the lid is closed.

13. This method loses the screw attachment point of the case bottom in the left corner.  Not a big deal, there are plenty of clips holding the bottom on just fine.

It's rock solid now. I'm sure there are other ways, this worked for me with materials I had on hand.  

HP Recommended

Mine broke the same way - what do I do?

HP Recommended

You are absolutly correct about the being u nder warrenty when screw began to loosen. Looking back I recall when my husband used my laptop and tightened the screw. Never did I expect after only 10 months would a brand new laptop  be so cheaply made that by overlooking a minor issue almost left my computer useless. I still have issues with the touch pad which I think may be caused from the hinge separation.  I just wish HP would stop thinking they are getting over on their customers. I make sure to tell anyone thinking of HP products, go elsewhere.

HP Recommended

Dear Hp- I have the same issue as the other 88 posters on this thread.

My laptop has this same issue.  It is out of the warranty period.  It broke at about 6 months and I honestly thought it was something I did.

When I went to research the fixes - I was surprised to see that this is actually an HP known issue....so I am hoping HP can assist in fixing this.

Can someone from HP please reach out to me?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.