Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Product: HP Envy 17 Notebook PC

Operating System: Windows 8.1

When I try and use the USB ports on my laptop, the system does not acknowledge the device is plugged in, nor allows the device to operate. There are no error messages and the safetly remove hardware icon does not appear. This problem began after I ran a couple of Windows Updates before shutting my computer down for the night.

The devices worked properly before but have since stopped. Multiple devices have been tried, but to no avail.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome to HP Support Forum and we are glad to assist you.

It looks like the USB Ports have stopped working on your Notebook and your in need of some help

We will surely assist you with this issue at the earliest

I would kindly request with you to perform REFRESH on your Notebook to take it back to an earlier state

when everything was working fine and normal

Step 01. Please go to PC Settings on your Notebook

Step 02. Please select General Tab on the left side

Step 03. Click on "Refresh your PC without affecting your files"

Step 04. Follow the On-Screen prompts to complete the Refresh/System Restore

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome to HP Support Forum and we are glad to assist you.

It looks like the USB Ports have stopped working on your Notebook and your in need of some help

We will surely assist you with this issue at the earliest

I would kindly request with you to perform REFRESH on your Notebook to take it back to an earlier state

when everything was working fine and normal

Step 01. Please go to PC Settings on your Notebook

Step 02. Please select General Tab on the left side

Step 03. Click on "Refresh your PC without affecting your files"

Step 04. Follow the On-Screen prompts to complete the Refresh/System Restore

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

As annoying as it was to reinstall my programs, it worked. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Sorry, it didn't work for me! 😞

I'm still left with a less than 2 year old Envy 17-j053 notebook that has 4 unreactive USB ports - can't even connect my HP 5-button mouse, let along my external back h/drive.

Have uninstalled all USB items including hubs on Device Manager and rebooted pc.  Still have an 'unknown device' for which no valid drivers appear to exist within the entire universe!!!

Any help in getting these working again would be hugely appreciated.

ps.  the built in webcam is also no longer working and not listed in the Device Manager so I can't use Skype to speak to my kids and youcam software can't find it either.

HP Recommended

Pls. I have the same problem as yours... I'm asking if you were able to fix it. if you were able to fix your please hlep me.

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.