Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Somehow the up arrow on my hp keyboard has popped off. It looks ok, as does the keyboard placement.

The question I have is, how do you put these keys back on? They have a little folding mechanism and I can get the key to hook onto the keyboard at the top, but not the bottom.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You have to rebuild the little supporting structure under the key and then pop the key down onto the top of it. You also have to be sure none of the metal mounting points for the support structure are broken. I call it the "sawhorse". Some of my most frustrating moments have been spent trying to get a keyboard key back on. Almost easier, believe it or not, to buy a new keyboard and replace the whole thing. Here is a good general youtube video on the subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpIq7-xYzcg

HP Recommended

Thanks... Its particularly annoying because the up arrow key is half the size of a normal key.

Also the sawhorse is attached to the key, not sure if its easier to remove the sawhorse from the key, attach it to the keyboard then attach the key to the sawhorse.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately that is the only way I have gotten it to work is to take the sawhorse off the key, reattach to the base of the keyboard, make the sawhorse stand up off the base, carefully lay the key on top and then snap straight down so all the plastic tabs grab hold in place. The metal mounting points on the base keep the bottom of the sawhorse in place. You can't snap the attachments to the metal mounting points in place when the attachments to the key at the top are fixed. In summary, you have to work bottom up, not top down. 

HP Recommended

I stumbled upon this forum while looking for some information regarding the removal of my envy 17 spake key. The key has been sticking for some time now, and it has finally become unbearable. I've attempted to just pull it off to no avail. In the past, I have broken many electronic parts due to "excessive force," so I made myself stop. Any info you be greatly appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hi Kody_87,

I would like to help you with your sticky key problem. Here is a video on how to remove and fix sticky keys.

Let me know if this helped.

Thank you,

I worked on behalf of HP.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.