HP Envy Battery "plugged in, not charging" (15635 Views)
Top Student
adonathiel
Message 1 of 6 (15,635 Views)

HP Envy Battery "plugged in, not charging"

As if my noisy fan problem wasn't enough (still looking for a solution that doesn't involve sending it back), today I noticed both batteries (the main 6-cell one and the 9-cell slice) were listed as "plugged in, not charging". Clearly not very useful if I want to use it tomorrow on batteries.

So I fiddled with the slice connection to see if that was the problem and the battery icon in the taskbar flickered between full (100%), no slice connected and the current not charging. It seems it's a slice issue, as I went into the BIOS and told the Envy to fully charge the main battery before charging the slice and now at least I have the 6-cell at 100%. However, the slice simply won't charge. There's not much about this even after a Google search, but from what I gathered, it seems it's more than just a slice connection issue. I even read about overheating damaging the diode on the motherboard which controls battery charging...

Restarting doesn't seem to do anything, nor does altering the connection itself or adjusting BIOS settings. Could this be a software issue that I could fix myself, or do I finally have to figure out a way to get this to HP Korea and (possibly) argue my way for an international warranty to be accepted (which I've also read horror-stories about)?

Top Student
Rickenbacker660
Message 2 of 6 (15,385 Views)

Re: HP Envy Battery "plugged in, not charging"

Similar problem, but I disconnected the slice while the system is on, and set the laptop back down on it- now says "charging." The internal battery is at 100%.

Student
paganministry
Message 3 of 6 (14,769 Views)

Hi, I have just noticed that i'm having the same problem. The slice isn't charging and my system just looses power if i unplug the power cable (if i have the slice plugged in). Without the slice i have no trouble. How did you guys resolve this issue?
Thanks loads!

Top Student
adonathiel
Message 4 of 6 (14,760 Views)

I took it to an HP service centre and got it replaced, there is no other solution. See HERE and HERE for my experiences. Good luck dealing with HP Supoort - in everyone of my experiences with them, they are horrifically inept.

I have actually started to get a "no-charging" issue with my normal battery, not the slice, these days. If you see the normal battery showing a white plugged-in light instead of an orange charging light, and the battery icon shows your computer is "Plugged in, not charging" - the problem is probably an overheating one.

My solution for that is to turn off the computer, unplug it and leave it for a few minutes (it doesn't take long to cool down enough to solve this issue). Actually disconnecting the 6-cell battery makes it cool faster. If you are in the middle of something important, having it plugged it keeps the charge going, so you can still work, but it doesnt incrwease the charge. This issue won't FORCE you to turn off your computer prematurely (yet), though I recommend it.

Student
sympmarc
Message 5 of 6 (10,626 Views)

I've been having this problem on and off, too, and I tried everything I could think of and everything I read about on the Web. Yet there was one more last thought I had, and it seemed to work.

I was leaning on my laptop reading something on the screen and I noticed that the battery meter was showing the little charge animation. When I stopped leaning on the laptop, it stopped charging. It occurred to me to pry up the little prongs on the battery to increase the likelihood of a connection with the bottom of the laptop, and it seems to have done the trick.

M.

Student
trainerman
Message 6 of 6 (1,187 Views)

After reading M's post, I tried pressing down (leaning) on my laptop and sure enough, the charging animation began.  I let go and it continued for a while, too, but eventually stopped.  It's hardware, then, and time to visit an HP service center.  The laptop is 2 months old.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation