Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Normally the fan runs very quietly.  Occasionally...maybe every 5 minutes the cooling fan will race.  Speed will slowly increase from quiet to loud over about 15 seconds then it slowly returns to it's normal quiet speed.

Any idea what may be causing this?

Thanks

Doug

CPU running at 33%, Memory at 67% , Disk at 17%....if this provides any insight.

HP ENVY H8-1414 Desktop, AMD FX-6120 Hexa-Core 3.5GHz, 10GB DDR3, 1TB SATA, USB 3.0, AMD Radeon HD 7450, 802.11n, Bluetooth 4.0, Win 8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi

Did the fan start reacting like this just recently?

I'd probably just start first cleaning inside and outside the PC.  The document talks about reducing head in the PC, that would be my first assumption about what is going on, the PC is getting hot, and then the fan kicks in, the PC cools down, and the fan goes back to normal.  There are a number of 3rd party temperature monitoring applications that you can install that will tell you what the CPU/GPU temperate is, and allow you to track it and see if temperature is the cause.

Less likely is that there is some issue with the fan itself.  When it ramps up, does it sould normal, just loud, or does it sound abnormal.  Check out Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly for directions on troubleshooting the fans in the PC.

R

I am an HP Employee.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

Did the fan start reacting like this just recently?

I'd probably just start first cleaning inside and outside the PC.  The document talks about reducing head in the PC, that would be my first assumption about what is going on, the PC is getting hot, and then the fan kicks in, the PC cools down, and the fan goes back to normal.  There are a number of 3rd party temperature monitoring applications that you can install that will tell you what the CPU/GPU temperate is, and allow you to track it and see if temperature is the cause.

Less likely is that there is some issue with the fan itself.  When it ramps up, does it sould normal, just loud, or does it sound abnormal.  Check out Fan is Noisy and Spins Constantly for directions on troubleshooting the fans in the PC.

R

I am an HP Employee.
HP Recommended

Started in the last 3 weeks - naturally right in the midst of a huge project (one where there;s no time for a meltdown...but it & I survived).

The box is clean....but I'll monitor the temps.  Seems to be more common if I don't reboot daily and have lots of apps running.

Thanks for the help.

Doug

HP Recommended
Hey Doug hope everything worked out for you. Here's a little insight since HP is a joke and across all the forum posts about this pc they try to make it sound like it's a rare issue with their product. A few cpu temperature tools indicate that even when I'm not running any intense programs the cpu is often between 60-69 degrees. (70 is the max it can take while it should always be below 50). Here are some steps that can resolve or reduce your issue.

1)try deleting Smart defrag - this stock application was killing my cpu with the over heating.

2) try replacing the cost-cutting thermal paste on the cpu with Arctic silver 5 (should drop ur cpu temp by 3-13 degrees effectively reducing the fan noise)

3) replace the heatsink on the cpu and also use Arctic silver 5

4) sell your computer and never buy anything from hp again

Hope this helps!

Warm regards,

Richie F Stuntingham.
HP Recommended

Hey, so i understand some peoples hate towards certain companies for whatever unknown reason, but heres the thing, a pc is a pc. dosent matter what manufacturer it comes from, the parts are what matters. i have a Hp-1414 i got used to upgrade, i have the stock heatsink, stock cpu paste, Zotac GTX 750ti overclocked, and the single fan set to intake. idle at boot i get as low as 7c sometimes. under full load gaming the highest ive recorded is 69c, just under thermal throttling which is okay because im upgrading the cpu cooler soon hopefully. if you are really having such temps then you need not blame HP but blame your uncleansliness both hardware wise, dust and dirt can seriously kill the temps (when i got this the dirt was so bad that i couldnt see the heatsink under the fan blades and would crash upon startup due to temps.) and so can what programs your running, you may think all those "pc cleaners" are doing their jobs but really all they do is cause more uneeded backround processes, using more power and resources. so please do make sure it isnt your fault before blaming the company i prefer over most 🙂 Temps.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.