HP Envy Touchsmart 15 finger print reader not working (7188 Views)
Student
chloeaxel
Message 1 of 5 (7,188 Views)

HP Envy Touchsmart 15 finger print reader not working

Hello,

I've had my HP Envy touchsmart 15 for little under a month now and it's been going great until yesterday and today, the finger print reader hardware has started acting up.

I log into my account fine and then when I leave my laptop for a little bit, I then return to log in and it won't let me use the finger print reader, it doesn't flash red or white, it just stops working. So I then try to log in using my password but I can't because it's saying my finger print is not recognised and keeps flicking bad and forth to that message. So basically it seems to think I'm rubbing my finger over it when i'm not even when the lights aren't flashing or anything and to solve this I have to power it off with the power button, which is not ideal at all.

This is a problem, any help?

Associate Professor
VJ_R
Message 2 of 5 (7,176 Views)

Re: HP Envy Touchsmart 15 finger print reader not working

Hi 

This looks like a Issue cause because of the updates try to do a system restore and it should work fine..

Or you can also uninstall the the HP simple Pass software and reinstall it back from the HP recovery manager.

Hope this helps.

***** Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Kudos"if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Honor Student
jbeej
Message 3 of 5 (7,080 Views)

I agree that its caused by updates. I updated the some kind of wireless button driver and I had the same problem. WHen I restored it, the problem was fixed.

Tutor
envy15touchscre
Message 4 of 5 (6,598 Views)

i have a similar issue, in that the finger scanner only works on certain saved pages now....i just logged into this forum using it, but on another page (i have used regularly with no isues) now no longer recognises the page so no lights...!

Student
Back2Tina
Message 5 of 5 (5,776 Views)

Oh my goodness! Finally the solution! I wasn't able to fix my finger scanner until I came here and read your advice. Thank you so much! I uninstalled the hp simplepass and then reinstall it. It works like magic. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation