Question

Student
chloeaxel
Message 1 of 9 (10,161 Views)

HP Envy Touchsmart 15 finger print reader not working

Hello,

I've had my HP Envy touchsmart 15 for little under a month now and it's been going great until yesterday and today, the finger print reader hardware has started acting up.

I log into my account fine and then when I leave my laptop for a little bit, I then return to log in and it won't let me use the finger print reader, it doesn't flash red or white, it just stops working. So I then try to log in using my password but I can't because it's saying my finger print is not recognised and keeps flicking bad and forth to that message. So basically it seems to think I'm rubbing my finger over it when i'm not even when the lights aren't flashing or anything and to solve this I have to power it off with the power button, which is not ideal at all.

This is a problem, any help?

Associate Professor
VJ_R
Message 2 of 9 (10,149 Views)

Re: HP Envy Touchsmart 15 finger print reader not working

Hi 

This looks like a Issue cause because of the updates try to do a system restore and it should work fine..

Or you can also uninstall the the HP simple Pass software and reinstall it back from the HP recovery manager.

Hope this helps.

***** Click the KUDOS Thumbs UP (Like) on the left to say 'Thanks'*****

****Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer “Accept as Solution”&"Kudos"if it solves your problem.****

-VJ

Although I am an HP Employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Honor Student
jbeej
Message 3 of 9 (10,053 Views)

I agree that its caused by updates. I updated the some kind of wireless button driver and I had the same problem. WHen I restored it, the problem was fixed.

Tutor
envy15touchscre
Message 4 of 9 (9,571 Views)

i have a similar issue, in that the finger scanner only works on certain saved pages now....i just logged into this forum using it, but on another page (i have used regularly with no isues) now no longer recognises the page so no lights...!

Student
Back2Tina
Message 5 of 9 (8,749 Views)

Oh my goodness! Finally the solution! I wasn't able to fix my finger scanner until I came here and read your advice. Thank you so much! I uninstalled the hp simplepass and then reinstall it. It works like magic. :smileyhappy:

Student
camill6
Message 6 of 9 (2,666 Views)

My HP is telling me my finger print is not recognized
HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 7 of 9 (2,589 Views)

Hello @camill6 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your notebook finger reader is no longer recognizing you fingerprint.

Try going through this document and let me know the results: 

Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 7, Vista, XP)

Troubleshooting a Fingerprint Reader (Windows 8)

It would help to know which product and operating system you are using. For information on finding your product and model numbers click here: How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? To see which version of Windows you are using click here: Which Windows operating system am I running?

I look forward to your reply!

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
Student
donbar2020
Message 8 of 9 (1,736 Views)

I am having the same issue.

The finger print reader was working just fine until HP pushed an update about two weeks ago.

Currently, the fingerprint reader does not work at all and its lights do not flash.

I updated the software to the latest available this morning and that did not work, so I tried an older version to see if it would work and it did not work either.

I also tried to update the BIOS, it has NO biometric settings whatsoever.

I tried updating the drivers and Windows said they are current.

Computer:  HP ENVY 17 Notebook i7

Product Number:  E1P14AV

BIOS:  F.56

Operating System:  Windows 8.1  64-bit

Simple Pass Version:  8.00.57

Driver Version:  8/1/2013   4.5.228.0

Biometric Validity Sensors:  PID=0050

I would appreciate any help to resolve this issue so I don't have to send my laptop in for warranty service as it is less than 2 months old!

Don B.

HP Support Agent
Great-Deku-Tree
Message 9 of 9 (1,731 Views)

Hey @donbar2020 ,

I see the fingerprint reader has stopped working on your notebook.

Please update your SimplePass software to 8.01.11. You can download this here: HP SimplePass Identity Protection Software.

Let me know if that works. :smileyhappy:

The Great Deku Tree
I work on behalf of HP.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" at the bottom of this post to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation