Question

Tutor
arun1421
Message 1 of 11 (1,622 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP Envy Ultrabook CTO 6t-1000: HDD not showing

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I got the windows Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) a couple of times while using simple day-to-day applications on my Ultrabook. The results were no different on Safe Mode either. After a while, I started getting "No Bootable disk" error while starting up. The Recovery (by pressing F11) won't show as well. I tried the HP Diagnostics (by pressing F2 on startup) and the Hard Disk Test as well as the Memory Test shows PASSED on both short and long formats. 

I tried the following:

1. I did some googling and entered BIOS/Insyde utility (by pressing F10 on startup), loaded Setup Defaults (by pressing F9), saved changes and did a reboot but I keep getting the error again.

2. I downloaded Windows 7 64-bit from Microsoft Store, created a boot USB and plugged it in. I was able to reach the Windows Installation Page but it would not show my hard disk at all. 

3. I located my product's support page on HP site, and downloaded the latest drivers, put it in a USB device and booted up the system from the Windows Installation disk. On the page where it was supposed to show my internal hard disks, it only showed the USB disks and there was an option "Load Driver" which I clicked on and chose the driver files I downloaded from HP website. All was well until I chose iaStor.inf... this time, the system hung up and the BSOD appeared with an error mentioning file "iaStor.sys"

My questions:

1. If Diagnostics Tests are Passed, can I assume that the hardware is alright?

2. Although I have already placed an order for Recovery Discs from HP, I doubt if it could help because my HDD drivers seem to be missing. Whats your take?
3. Is there a way to reset/reload drivers from the BIOS/Insyde utility?

My System Specs:
Notebook Model: HP Envy 6 Notebook PC
Product No.: A9G58AV (The notebook backpanel says A9G30AV)
{Personal Information Removed}
Processor: 2nd Generation Intel Core i5-2467M CPU @ 1.6 GHz + Intel HD Graphics 3000
BIOS Version: F.0D
Total Memory: 4 GB
HDD: 500GB 5400rpm SATA RAW 7mm Hard Drive with 32GB mSSD Hard Drive Accelaration Cache

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 2 of 11 (1,605 Views)

Re: HP Envy Ultrabook CTO 6t-1000: HDD not showing

Hi:

I would say the hard drive is bad regardless of what the tests are showing.

If the BIOS is set to RAID, and you extracted the SATA/RAID drivers to the usb flash drive and still nothing, then it has to be the hard drive.

Give the drivers one more try...

Use these instead.

Download and extract the 64 bit files from the first download listed onto your USB flash drive and repeat the installation process.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&keyword=Intel+Rapi...

Did you check the box to only include the compatible SATA drivers?

Provost
Huffer
Message 3 of 11 (1,601 Views)

[ Edited ]

Unfotunately I have to disagree with Paul and I think you might be looking at a bad motherboard but we might first want to try removing the 32 gig mSSD drive. 

Here is the Manual:

Service Manual

See Page 40. Unfortunately that model is a bit hard to disassemble but the steps are laid out in the Manual. If it is still under warranty you might not want to do this. If the hard drive passes the F2 test then I tend to think it cannot be the hard drive. 

Tutor
arun1421
Message 4 of 11 (1,585 Views)

[ Edited ]

@ Paul

Hi. Thanks for the help. But it didn't work. I downloaded the f6 drivers from the link you provided, copied it onto my USB disk and ran it from the Windows 7 installation. In the 'Load Drivers' section, it showed only one file iaStorAC.inf (RAID driver for my Chipset) as being compatiable to my hardware and I tried proceeding with it. I got the BSOD with "iaStorA.sys" showing up on the blue screen.

Tutor
arun1421
Message 5 of 11 (1,584 Views)

@ Huffer

Thanks for the manual. My product is under warranty for about a month more but I am currently in India and wouldn't be able to bring it to the States within that time. So I have to try the stuff myselves I guess. 

Is there any way to install the driver from InsydeH20 instead of Windows 7 installation? I think the BSOD is characteristic of Windows only and I could avoid that if  something could be done from BIOS. P.S.: I donot have a floppy drive.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 6 of 11 (1,568 Views)

You're very welcome.

Sorry those drivers didn't work.

There isn't any way that I know of to install the drivers without being in the windows installation routine.

Tutor
arun1421
Message 7 of 11 (1,557 Views)

Hi everybody,

I got a hint from a friend in Intel just now. He says the problem is that I reset my BIOS to default. My system has a SATA hard disk with a mSSD hard drive accelaration cache. It seems that originally the BIOS would support SATA only and had to be set to  AHCI to support the mSSD drive. So he says when I reset the BIOS the AHCI setting is gone and hence the BIOS does not see my hard drive.

Is the above idea right? If yes, how do you I go about setting BIOS to support mSSD as well? The only options available to me on the InsydeH20 utility are changing date/time and boot order.

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen
Message 8 of 11 (1,551 Views)

Hi:

Unfortunately, the BIOS' on almost every HP consumer notebook cannot be changed from their default setting (including yours).

I believe on your model the default setting is RAID and it can't be changed to AHCI.

Since the notebook was originally configured in RAID mode and worked when you got it, that is probably not the issue.

As long as you load the correct SATA driver on a PC with no known hardware issues, the operating system should install regardless of what mode the drive controller is set to.

Tutor
arun1421
Message 9 of 11 (1,536 Views)

Hi

Since nothing worked out, I opened up the notebook and removed the 32 Gig mSSD cache. I couldn't still boot up from the hard drive but while booting up from the installation disk, the system at least detected the old Win7 installation. Start up repair started but ran for hours together with no results. So I rebooted, accessed the F11 recovery (which now took me to the recovery screen) and reset to factory settings. The desktop loaded up and everything is fine now.

Thanks Huffer once again for the manual. It was really helpful.

I still want to try to put up the 32 Gig mSSFD cache back. So I put it in the slot and restarted the system. i was taken to Intel RST configuration utility (by pressing Ctrl+i on boot). On leaving that as it is, the system still works fine but shows the mSSD cache Available but Disassociated on the Intel RST control centre.

I need help now. Can anyone give the instructions for configuring the mSSD cache for use again?

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 10 of 11 (1,521 Views)

Hi Arun1421,

I understand you are having an issue with improving the Performance of an Advanced Format Hard Drive. Here is a document that should assist.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02749341&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5273977&tmp...

Please let me know if you require further assistance.

Thanks

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation