Question

Honor Student
Ruined
Message 1 of 102 (4,591 Views)

HP Envy X2 128GB Touchscreen Grounding Manufacturing Problem?

Hi all,

I recently ordered a "custom to order" HP ENVY X2 128GB.   What a fun little convertible.  However upon receipt, I noticed the touchscreen became unresponsive at times.  After some more testing, I realized that if i used the touchscreen without my fingers touching the metal part of the case, such as when placing the device on a plastic tablet stand or a couch/bed, the touch screen became less responsive/unresponsive near the bottom!

Now, I found this odd. Why would the touchscreen stop working well if I wasn't touching the back of the case? I checked with owners of the 64GB model and they did not have this problem.  Therefore all I could think of was that the 128GB  custom to order model created a modification in process that is resuting in some sort of grounding issue; perhaps ramsinks on the backsides of the extra ram chips are in contact with the back of the case?

Either way, I figured it was a one-off defect.  So I ordered a brand new replacement custom-to-order 128GB PC and waited 2 weeks for it to arrive.  The new PC has exactly the same problem!   Therefore, I can only believe there is currently a hardware manufacturing issue with the 128GB models.

The easiest way to test this is to place the 128GB Envy X2 on a non-conductive surface, such as a plastic tablet stand or couch, then bring up the onscreen keyboard.  Try typing with it and it should become unresponsive in short order.  However, if you place one finger on the back or side of the aluminum case, all of a sudden it works perfectly again.

I am going to try to call HP tech support to explain this but I don't have high hopes it will get through to the right person. If anyone has a lead who I could contact that would understand the advanced nature of this problem please let me know. Thanks.

P.S. - I really need the 128GB model too, its already down to 40GB fso the 64 would not be enough.

Honor Student
Ruined
Message 2 of 102 (4,570 Views)

Re: HP Envy X2 128GB Touchscreen Grounding Manufacturing Problem?

[ Edited ]

Wow, I called HP customer support last night. What a dreadful experience!

I spoke with 6 representatives and was transferred literally 5 times from department to department as no one seemed able to address or discuss this manufacturing issue.  I was on the phone for over 1.5 hours, and probably spent 20min of that talking to people, rest of the time on hold and being transferred!  I also tried the online chat support, and the rep advised me that the tablet touchscreen malfunctioning on a tablet stand was normal operation, lol!

None of the customer support agents appeared able to address this issue, and most weren't even familiar with the product itself.  One told me he only worked on HP Spectre machines so he couldnt talk to me!  In the end I requested a refund because no one was offering a amicable solution to the issue or reassurance it could be repaired.

It is a shame because this is a nice product and I believe I have identified a correctable manufacturing problem.  I created a video which I will upload to YouTube later that demonstrates the grounding problem on this tablet.  The video very clearly demonstrates how badly the 128gb tablet touchscreen malfunctions when it is on a tablet stand.  Both new machines I received recently had this exact issue, so it is not a one off problem.  I believe it only affects the new 128GB models, not the older 64gb models.

I wish there was a customer support representative that was more experienced and might be able to address my issue in a reassuring way.  Oh well. :smileysad:

Retired
Antonius_L
Message 3 of 102 (4,562 Views)

Hello Ruined,

I saw your post and forwarded it to the right people a for their review. You should hear back from someone shortly via private message on this Forum.

Tutor
anap40
Message 4 of 102 (4,473 Views)

[ Edited ]

Any update on this issue? I also have a 128gb Envy x2 and am having the same issues as the OP.

Can someone please send my info to the appropriate people so that I too can receive assistance via PM?

Honor Student
Ruined
Message 5 of 102 (4,467 Views)

[ Edited ]

I returned mine for a refund, it appears HP (even the U.S. tech support I was escalated to) was totally unaware of the problem so who knows how long before a fixed one is out. Also in less than 6 mos the much faster intel atom bay trail tablet cpus will be out, so not worth the time and effort to get a fixed one IMO - as it might take a while.

Top Student
Wolfman017
Message 6 of 102 (4,350 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I bought recently an HP Envy X2 (model g090ef, equipped with 64GB, in France). I had touchscreen problems and changed it for a new one.

With this new one, I still have the problem, and then found your topic here. It is exactly the same : if I don't touch the metallic part of the tablet, a zone (not the entire screen) of the touchscreen does not respond. It is rather strange, because on the first X2 I bought, this "non-respondive" zone was smaller than on the new one.

Top Student
rob928
Message 7 of 102 (4,317 Views)

Wolfman017 wrote:

Hi,

I bought recently an HP Envy X2 (model g090ef, equipped with 64GB, in France). I had touchscreen problems and changed it for a new one.

With this new one, I still have the problem, and then found your topic here. It is exactly the same : if I don't touch the metallic part of the tablet, a zone (not the entire screen) of the touchscreen does not respond. It is rather strange, because on the first X2 I bought, this "non-respondive" zone was smaller than on the new one.

I also am having the same issue with my g010nr 64GB model.  If it's sitting on a stand or in a case and I'm not touching the metal shell, the touchscreen stops responding in the keyboard area.

Please let me know if I need to contact customer support, of if this can be handled another way.

Thanks

Top Student
Wolfman017
Message 8 of 102 (4,299 Views)

Hi,

So I went back to my shop, and I got a replacement for another product (you could not refund me). In the shop, I tried the model which was exposed (g090ef), and it had the same issue !! 3 g090ef, 3 same problem.

Today I was in another shop (FNAC) where they sell g080ef models. The demo model was working fine, without any touchscreen issue. So I bought one, and I am testing it : it seems it doesn't have any issue ! The g080ef works just fine !!

Top Student
repaofrefa
Message 9 of 102 (4,138 Views)

I got HP ENVY x2 11-g010nr 64GB a few days ago and have the same problem.  

Top Student
repaofrefa
Message 10 of 102 (4,126 Views)

OK. It seems it problem is going to be solved.
I called customer service today. They asked me to do a full shutdown. And then system recover. I just recovered the system this morning and fortunately I could skip the 2 hr painful process. The supervisor took over the phone and initiated a return process.

Hope they will fix this problem. This time.

Key words: touchscreen responsive HP ENVY x2 11-g010nr

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation