Question

Student
Drumaboy590
Message 1 of 6 (3,975 Views)

HP Envy dv6 Windows 8 Biometric Scanner no longer working

My biometric scanner was working fine, and I have not touched my laptop in a few days, and it is now no longer working. 

HP SimplePass will open up, but I cannot find a way to enroll fingers. 

When going to a website at which I had previously enrolled a finger to log into, SimplePass now shows up with a text box saying "Enter your master password", as if my biometric scanner itself is not found.

The device shows in device manager, and is enabled, but gives me this error:

Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)

In an attempt to get it working, I found in another topic on these forums to set the credential authentication service to start automatically as opposed to manually. I did that, and it produced no change.

Nothing has been changed on this laptop since my last usage of the fingerprint scanner with the exception of at least two windows updates. 

I tried updating the driver for the scanner, and it produced no change.

Distinguished Professor
Kyle_W
Message 2 of 6 (3,950 Views)

HP Envy dv6 Windows 8 Biometric Scanner no longer working

Try uninstalling the driver in device manager. After you uninstall it, go up to the device manager toolbar and select "Scan for hardware changes." After it completes, reboot the notebook. Let me know if that works for you.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
Student
as22142
Message 3 of 6 (3,867 Views)

Re: HP Envy dv6 Windows 8 Biometric Scanner no longer working

I have a similar problem. I have a Evny Dv6 windows 8, and my Biometric Scanner was no longer working. This happened in the past for me and I went to my device manager to disable it then reenable (this worked in the past). This time though my biometric scanner is not under my device manager. 

Student
ebenites
Message 4 of 6 (3,645 Views)

Same problem.  I noticed the scanner was not even showing in my Device Manager.  I also noticed one of my USB ports was not working.  Then I saw that Device Manager showed one of the USB devices (Intel(R) 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller - 1E2D) not working, either.

I disabled that device, then enabled it, and it solved the problems.  Hope this helps.

Top Student
Thehelpfulman12
Message 5 of 6 (3,074 Views)

Hello, I have had a similar problem on my Dv6. I found that web the biometrics was not found on the device manager one of the USB ports was not working. However, when you go into device managar you should see a yellow exclamation mark on the side of one of the port driver. If you click on that USB port driver, disable it and then re enable it, you should be back up and running. It worked for me. Hope this helps
Student
Tabaré_UY
Message 6 of 6 (1,429 Views)

I had the same problem with the biometric scanner. Does not work any more. My notebook is also a DV6 with w8. I read the post with the instructions but I don't know wich driver should I uninstall. It is the  Validity Sensor one? Thanks

tabaré

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation