Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello all,

I own an Envy dv6t-7300 CTO select edition notebook that I purchased a little over a year ago. Up until earlier today it's been great. I've been using it as my main PC and have had few problems with it. Today though, I booted up the laptop, and realized that the keyboard on the notebook has abrubtly stopped working completely. None of the keys register, though the LED on the F12 wireless button is illuminated, which leads me to believe it's not a connection problem with the motherboard. 

I have tried:

-rebooting the notebook

-taking the battery out, leaving it for five minutes, replacing it, and then powering it up again

-trying to update and reinstall the keyboard drivers from the device manager

-a system restore to 3 days earlier when it was working fine. 

This is a very distressing issue, as it leaves the notebook unusable without an external keyboard. Thanks in advance.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Unyx wrote:

Hello all,

I own an Envy dv6t-7300 CTO select edition notebook that I purchased a little over a year ago. Up until earlier today it's been great. I've been using it as my main PC and have had few problems with it. Today though, I booted up the laptop, and realized that the keyboard on the notebook has abrubtly stopped working completely. None of the keys register, though the LED on the F12 wireless button is illuminated, which leads me to believe it's not a connection problem with the motherboard. 

I have tried:

-rebooting the notebook

-taking the battery out, leaving it for five minutes, replacing it, and then powering it up again

-trying to update and reinstall the keyboard drivers from the device manager

-a system restore to 3 days earlier when it was working fine. 

This is a very distressing issue, as it leaves the notebook unusable without an external keyboard. Thanks in advance.

Hi

This may be a hardware issue, nevertheless try the following:

Try updating the drivers & BIOS from your product site.

Try this:
Shut down the notebook
unplug the AC Adapter
Disconnect all the external peripheral devices
then remove the battery
Hold down the Power button for 30 seconds
Re-insert the battery and plug in the AC Adapter

Tap away at the esc key with USB keyboard as you start the notebook to see if this will launch the Start-up Menu
then select F10 to enter the bios menu
Press F5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes F9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key )
use the arrow keys ( assuming they work in this menu ) to select 'Yes' and hit enter
Press F10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

Note: If you find the keys don't work in the Bios menu, then this is likely to be a Hardware issue.

Test for hardware issue from BIOS System Diagnostics by pressing F2 or F10 soon after restart - do component test - keyboard test.

This might help you:

Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎

If troubleshooting doesn't work, it's probably hardware issue. Contact HP in your region.

Thanks,

HP Recommended
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, after loading the defaults in the BIOS it is now saying that a boot device cannot be found and that there isn't an OS on the hard drive.
HP Recommended

@Unyx wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, after loading the defaults in the BIOS it is now saying that a boot device cannot be found and that there isn't an OS on the hard drive.

Please find the link given below might help you to fix your issue. Promptly follow the steps:

Resolve Boot Device not Found Error Message

Try testing for hardware failure, the link for which I have given earlier;

Try reseating the hard drive by disconnecting & reconnecting the SATA cable gently and firmly after doing a hard reset - refer the manual for reseating steps: Manual

If its not resolving, you have to contact HP as it may be hardware issue in the first place.

thanks,

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.