Question

Student
Zams
Message 1 of 6 (305 Views)

HP Envy m6-1205dx hinge problem.

My right hinge has been squeaking for a while now but today it actually broke.  Now whenever I close it, the casing of the top comes up and I'm afraid it could eventually do damage to the screen.  I would probably be able to make the replacement fairly easily, but the point of this post is dealing with my warranty.  I am still under my 1 year base warranty, and I can assure (and surely the laptops condition is evidence enough) that it has never been dropped, or misused in a way that would cause this to happen.  Is there any chance of my warranty actually covering this, or do I just have to bite it?

Student
CoolRob
Message 2 of 6 (167 Views)

Re: HP Envy m6-1205dx hinge problem.

Mine did the same thing.. Just under one year after I got it and I took excellent care of it.  I was going to send it in for repair, but then I would've had to of taken out the extra memory I added along with the upgraded wifi card.  After reading horror stories about people getting back different computers (was afraid I might possibly get one back with scatched casing or screen) and having various other issues, I decided to pass.  Now that it's about 1 year and 2 months old the screen bevel has cracked near the hinges on both sides.  I'm very cautious when closing the screen, and support it with my fingers.  It's just an EXTREMELY poor design.

If you google things like hp envy m6 screen crack or hing, you'll find we're not alone.  Should be a class action taken against them.

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 3 of 6 (150 Views)

Hi CoolRob,

I just sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your forum messages, this post has instructions.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
CaseyC24
Message 4 of 6 (128 Views)

Cool Rob did you ever have any luck with your screen? I see HP support replied to you...

Maybe Mrstenter  can help me with my problem as well..  my HP m6-1205dx cost me quite a bit when I purchased it, and shortly after, without being dropped or damaged even one time, the hinge on the power button(left)side started to crack and needed two hands to gently open. Is there anyway to replace the case? This is roughly my tenth HP laptop, and probably the worst(only bad one really). Just the other day the plastic cover on the back of the hinge completely severed and its continuing up to the screen now which worries me about further damage.

Honor Student
CaseyC24
Message 5 of 6 (52 Views)

For future viewers who have the same problem, FYI - HP hasn't responded to numerous emails / messages  I.E. Private message to Ms. Stentor for help on where and what to do with my otherwise new laptop that has a blown out hinge and other manufacturing defects. There is absolutely zero hope of any support for this flawed product design.  Had great luck with hp prior to the past 2 years, probably won't take another chance with their stuff.  I suggest looking elsewhere when considering an HP laptop, especially the HP envy models. 

kevin-t
Message 6 of 6 (45 Views)

Hi @CaseyC24 ,

I have sent you a private message. If you are not sure how to check your private messages then this post has instructions that will guide you through the process.

Thanks for visiting the HP Support Forum

I work for HP. However I speak only for myself, not for HP nor anyone else
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation