Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I purchased my HP Envy in early July of this year at Best Buy. In 24 hours, the touchpad began to give me grief. It would open the side panel that shows you how many programs are open at the momnt, cause the mouse to jump around when I used it, would not respond to clicking, nd just generally not work. I did everything under the sun that I could think about to the pc. I uninstalled the drivers, uninstalled the entire touchpad, reset my pc to factory settings, to no avail. Within five minutes of turning on the pc, the mouse acted up.

I returned the laptop to Best Buy in two days and received the same model. A few days later, I faced the same exact issues. This is the laptop that I currently have. I thought I could live with it, but I am at my wits end.

I will note that when I have an external mouse plugged into the laptop, the mouse gives me no trouble whatsoever.

I have an HP Envy M6-n010dx

I'm running Windows 8.1 x64 bit

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @Leah_anais  and @sirdoom34 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're having issues using the touchpad on your ENVY notebooks.

Please take the time to go through the following document for touchpad issues: Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 😎.

Make sure the touchpad is up to date with the following drivers: Synaptics TouchPad Driver.

If neither of those work please contact HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

I'm having the same exact issues. I bought it a week ago today and it started the day after I got the laptop. It has only been getting worse and worse. Sometimes it doesn't even move. Or it will move on it's own without me even touching it (I actually have video of this happening). It is absolutely ridiculous. I can't stand it. I have resorted to using just a USB mouse or the touchscreen (both of which still work perfectly...it's just the trackpad that sucks). I'm at the point where I wanna take it back and get them to move everything to a new computer because it's driving me absolutely insane.

HP Recommended

Hello @Leah_anais  and @sirdoom34 ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand you're having issues using the touchpad on your ENVY notebooks.

Please take the time to go through the following document for touchpad issues: Using and Troubleshooting the TouchPad or ClickPad (Windows 😎.

Make sure the touchpad is up to date with the following drivers: Synaptics TouchPad Driver.

If neither of those work please contact HP Phone Support for service options. You can contact HP Technical Support at 1-800-474-6836 in North America. For all other regions click here.

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Great-Deku-Tree
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I have had similar problems with the Clickpad for a different Envy model.  I have mostly (although not completely) fixed them by doing the following after going through Recovery (i.e., so the laptop was back to how it came out of the box).  In the HP Control Zone settings (found in Control Panel -> Change mouse settings):

1) Change the setting for 'Enable Edge Swipes' to Traditional Edge Swipes.
2) Under Smart Sense, check 'Restrict Pointing to Zone', and shrink the box so that the mouse button/clicking areas (on the bottom left and right) are outside the box. Change the Filter Activation Time to 0 seconds.

95% of the time, the Clickpad now works as intended.  Every once in awhile it will still register a right-click when I left-click, or a left-click when I right-click.  Also, sometimes (but not always) when the laptop wakes up from sleep, the clickpad is completely messed up and I need to reboot.

I hope this helps.

HP Recommended

I was going to give it a few days after the touchpad began working to make sure that all was in order. The only thing that worked was performing a hard reset and then using the HP Support Assistant to update the Synaptics Touchpad driver. It worked for nearly a week and then it began to jump around again.

The reason I selected this at a solution, is because it did work for a while, but now I have another problem. My laptop would not start up the morning after the touchpad began acting up again. I contacted support and am currently waiting for a box to send my laptop in for repairs. Thank you for your prompt reply, and I apologize for taking too long to accept it as an answer.

HP Recommended

I have the same laptop. This is hard to use. I've only had it for 6 days.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Not sure if you have solved your problem, but I had the same thing happening as others on this board.

I called HP support and they had me update BIOS.

After I updated the BIOS, everything seems to be working without any issues.

My current BIOS version is 

Brand: Insyde

Version: F.22

Date: 11/25/2014

Hope it helps.

HP Recommended

is your notebook still working after the bios update until now?

Thanks,

HP Recommended

I've found that putting it on sleep mode and turning it back on is the only resolutoion that I've found that works.

HP Recommended

Nothing at all worked for me, @dynamatech. I'm just resolved now to using an external mouse. I have honestly given up at this point.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.