Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Its apparent that HP support is going to just offer the same ideas.  Its obvious that this particular laptop has a flaw and instead of working at a fix, they leave customers in frustration.  When you spend this amount of money on a notebook you expect it to properly function.  Dissapointed.

HP Recommended

@JuJuDaBu wrote:

Its apparent that HP support is going to just offer the same ideas.  Its obvious that this particular laptop has a flaw and instead of working at a fix, they leave customers in frustration.  When you spend this amount of money on a notebook you expect it to properly function.  Dissapointed.

I too have had an EXTREMELY frustrating eperience with the touchpad on my HP Envy laptop (15t). It randomly and frequently just stops working completely for about 3-5 seconds. I've called HP support (the irony is that I am support technician myself and run an IT agency) and they gave me the same canned message, and the troubleshooting steps didn't help at all. It's clearly a problem with all of the newer laptops it seems.

I've been a long-time HP customer, and the quality of the trackpads has gone DOWN HILL over the past 2-3 years. On top of that, HP keeps making the trackpads wider, it seems, making it more difficult to right click or left click easily (because of the amount of space your fingers have to travel), and this causes numerous mis-clicks for me. I often have to try to right-click 4-6 times before it finally registers.

I've had to resort to using a mouse with these newer models because the trackpad is pure frustration. I bought my wife a newer version of my 2014 model last year, and she told me that she HATES the trackpad for all of the same reasons.

This is her 3rd high-end HP laptop and she NEVER had a problem with the trackpads before with previous models. The newer models have been just plain awful overall.

HP needs to listen to all of us. These aren't just isolated incidents!

#SOFRUSTRATING!

HP Recommended

i found a possible solution to the touchpad problems.

please view this page and if it helps you, give a thumbs up over there so others can be made aware of this fix!!!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/hp-control-zone-trackpad-incred...

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my laptop. The problem was with the synaptics driver for the device. Here is what I did.

1. Uninstall the driver for the mouse pad. (DON"T RESTART YET!)
  2. go to search and type Change device installation settings.
  3. click "no,let me choose what to do" 
  4. CLick "never install driver from windows update"
  5. click save changes
  6. reboot laptop

It should intall the PS/2 compatible mouse driver.

Not done yet. Now you need to keep it from trying to download the driver

1. go to windows update
  2. find the Synaptics touchpad driver in windows update
  3. unselect the driver
  4. right click on the driver and select hide update

You should have a fuly functional mousepad. It will be a bit slower but it works.

Have a Good day. Hoped this helped.

HP Recommended
This is 100% Hardware fault! I also faced the same problem and fixed by just re-soldering the Synaptics ball IC. Now it works perfectly 😉
HP Recommended

THE MOUSEPAD IS BEING SHORTED OUT BY MOTHERBOARD TOUCHING BOTTOM CASE      OPEN BOTTOM YOU EILL SEE AN EXTRUDING RIDGE  TO THE LEFT OF WHERE THE SHIFT KEY IS   PLACE A SMALL PIECE IF ELECTICAL TAPE DOUBLED TOGETHER WHERE STICKY SIDE IS OUT ON BOTH SIDES PLACE OVER THE RIDGE  PRESS BACK DOWN MAKING SURE IT STAYS  WORKED GREAT FOR ME ON MY ENVY M6 N113DX    HAS TO BE A MANUFACTURER DEFECT

HP Recommended

ALL THE DRIVER CHANGING WILL DO NOTHING  THIS IS A MANUFACTURE DEFECT   TRACKPAD SHORTING OUT BY TOUCHING BOTTOM CASE   CAN BE FIXED BY INSERTING 2 LAYERS OF  ELECTICAL TAPE INSIDE CASE OVER METAL COVER  AT BOTTOM END OF TRACKPAD  THIS COVER HAS 6 SCREWS IN IT  WORKED GREAT ON MY HP ENVY M6 N113DX  THIS   STOPS THE PROBLEM

HP Recommended

Disassemble your laptop and look at the touchpad assembly. You have to at least take the MB out. There are two rectangular cutouts in the center of the assembly frame where you can see the circuit board. There are two copper pads, one on each area of the circuit board  under the cutouts. Those pads must be grounded to the frame with conductive tape.

My daughter gave me her laptop to fix and after reading all the forums and doing lots of testing, I had a really good hunch that it was a capacitance/grounding problem and when I took it apart there was no grounding tape on the left pad. I put some on and the touchpad works flawlessly now.

If I could post a picture I would, but if you go onto ebay and look at some of the images, you can see the leftmost pad and grounding tape very easily. The right side has a plastic film over it but you can see the edge of the pad, just the same

HP Recommended

Same and similar issues with touchpad on my Envy 801 PRRBE, 7i 2017 sometimes the touch pad doesn't work at all, sometimes it only works when tapping the center of the pad, sometimes the entire pad works great. SO FRUSTRATED!!

HP Recommended

After disassembling the laptop and removing the system board which took about an hour, adding the small piece of grounding tape from the right side of the touchpad's circuit board copper pad to the touchpad's frame worked beautifully for my customer's HP ENVY m6-n113dx!

I wonder why HP left the tape off of this side but put it on the other. Thanks for the tip, Ineedatrashcan! Hopefully, more people will follow these guidelines and be happy with their touchpad once again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.