Question

Student
Tonkaturn
Message 1 of 2 (213 Views)

HP Envy m6 trackpad problems

Hi there. 

I am hoping you guys can give me a little bit of help. 

I purchased a new HP Envy m6 from Best Buy in May. For the first couple of weeks everything was fine, but after that the trackpad stopped working completly. It wasn't that big of a deal because I dont use the trackpad that often, I use a wireless mouse. However, In June the hard drive completly crashed and wouldn't load at all. I took it back to Best Buy and they sent it to HP to get the Hard drive replaced. I went back home to the UK and my fiance picked up the computer and it has been sitting doing nothing since coming back from the workshop. I turned it on for the first time when I got back to the States, and the trackpad still does not work. I have been through the control panel and everything on there seems to be fine, all the other USB ports work fine, the keyboard works fine, but the trackpad, no matter whar I do, will not work at all. It is like it has been disconnected.

Have you heard of this problem before and if so how do i fix it?

Luke 

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 2 (201 Views)

Re: HP Envy m6 trackpad problems

Tonkaturn,

Welcome to the HP Forum!

You might try the following:

1. Perform the Hard Reset
  2. As soon as you power on the notebook, repeatedly click the ESC key to bring up the Startup Menu
  3. Select F10 to launch the BIOS menu
  4. Depending on your BIOS, you will click F5 or F9 to load the default settings – then use the arrow keys to Select “Yes” and then click “Enter”
  5. Press F10 to save the Settings – then use the arrow keys to Select “Yes” and click “Enter”

There are a few "software" fixes available to sort this.

Take a look at the following; see if you find anything of use.

Find, open, and read the files named: 

Fix TouchPad / ClickPad

Enable / Disable TouchPad

If all efforts fail to dislodge the TouchPad from its eternal sleep, then you may have to think about calling HP Technical Support (which we are not).  As sad as it is to contemplate, the hardware may be at fault.  You still have warrant on the unit that should include hardware repairs should it be necessary.

Worldwide Support Portal

Contact HP - Worldwide

Contact HP – USA - Phone Assistance

Warranty Required – USA and Canada

USA – Contact HP // Self-Help – Email - Chat

What if you REALLY are not ready to make the Call to HP?

If the thought of sending the computer in for another repair causes undue stress, you might try backing up everything reinstalling the Operating System.  Should you have Windows 8 on that computer, you have some good options, including using a Custom Refresh.

The Custom Refresh is discussed in the file named:

Windows 8 Features – A Quick Tour

If you do Refresh (restore the system) and THAT doesn't fix it, then you can make that call to HP.

Good Luck!  I hope this helps you resolve the issue with that stubborn TouchPad.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation