Question

Top Student
Richard-G
Message 1 of 9 (1,076 Views)

HP G42 Fan Running in High Speed and Noisy

I had a HP G42 i5 notebook. Recently I send my notebook for repair due to the graphic card problem. I encountered that the fan speed is running in high speed mode after I the repair. I asked the incharge and he told me that they had did the cleaning on the notebook, so the fan will run in high speed and making noise. I did told that person, it was silence before repair and the fan will only run in high speed mode when the notebook's got heat up. But now it's got into the high speed mode even during startup time.

So I would like to get some advice or comment on this. Is it normal that the notebook's fan speed is running in high speed and noisy since startup? Thanks in advance.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 2 of 9 (1,060 Views)

Re: HP G42 Fan Running in High Speed and Noisy

Hello Richard-G,

Please take a look at this document and let me know if the troubleshooting steps help resolve your noisy fan issue.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
Richard-G
Message 3 of 9 (1,055 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I look through the link you provided and compare with my notebook model. Found that my notebook model  is XU564PA#UUF (from HP Support Assistant software) and when I seach from google the match model is HP G42-380TX Notebook PC. As from the link you provided is refer to HP G42-410US notebook model. I was trying to search for the bios update from the link as provided with G42-380TX model. But can't find any. In that case, can I use the Bios update programs as in the link you provided to update my notebook?

Below is my notebook information.

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name HP-G42
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP G42 Notebook PC
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU       M 460  @ 2.53GHz, 2534 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.24, 18/8/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.6

Intern
JohnB95
Message 4 of 9 (1,048 Views)

Does your computer get hot? You should be able to enter your bios and turn off fan always on feature. I keep my fan on at all times, noisy but keeps the computer running cool.
Top Student
Richard-G
Message 5 of 9 (1,043 Views)

The computer is in normal temperature. I did tried to turn off the fan from the computer bios setup earlier. But it's seems no effect. The fan still running.

I'm not sure anything did wrongly by the technician? Before i sent for repair, my notebook fan speed was not in high speed mode. It's will run in high speed when power on and immediately slow down and quiet after the windows was started. Actually it's no harm to let the fan running so fast. But the noise is annoying and feel that it was abnormal and may cause the fan or other parts failure later.

Regents Professor
UniProg
Message 6 of 9 (1,023 Views)

Hi Richard-G,

I'm sorry for the delay in my reply, as I have been out of the office since last Thur.  The instructions would have been the same for your notebook, but not the same BIOS.

This document will guide you through updating your BIOS if you wish.  Since the noise is reduced once Windows begins, I would not worry too much about this.

Good luck!

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
Top Student
Richard-G
Message 7 of 9 (1,016 Views)

Hi uniProg,

Sorry. I think you miss understand my earlier reply. That situation is refering to before I send my notebook to fix the graphic card. Currently the fan is running in same high speed whether during start up or after windows started. The speed never changed. This happened since the date I collected my notebook from repair.

I will take a look on the document you refered to see whether ok to update the bios. Thanks for your reply.

Top Student
Richard-G
Message 8 of 9 (1,010 Views)

Hi! UniProg,

I had upgraded the bios to latest. But the fan still running so noisy. I had an IBM server running beside as well but it was so quiet, you can't even hear the sound when the room aircond is on.

I just suspect that the technician had did something unnecessary change on the motherboard causing the fan running so loud and non-stop.

Regents Professor
AttackofZaq
Message 9 of 9 (985 Views)

Hello Richard-G.

Try the following.

1. Reboot your computer and tap F10 until the BIOS loads.
  2. Navigate to the System Configuration section.
  3. Disable "Fan Always On."
  4. Navigate to the Exit section.
  5. Save your changes.
  6. Verify whether the problem persists and post the result.

Have a lovely day!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white star under my name to give me Kudos as a way to say "Thanks!"

Click the "Accept as Solution" button if I resolve your issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation