Question

Honor Student
Guinner
Message 1 of 4 (619 Views)
Accepted Solution

HP G6-2304AU - Keyboard not working two weeks after purchase.

Hi all,
Looking for some hep on something that's got me absolutely stumped. I bought a HP Pavillion G6-2304AU, running Win8, two or so weeks ago and ever since I bought it the keyboard has cut in and out on random intervals, even had some problems with the touchpad - although no problems with the touchpad anymore.
The keyboard has now totally cut out and has for a couple days now - I have done a fair amount of troubleshooting however I can't seem to fix it. NONE of the keys work, except for the Function keys (F1-F12), however the esc, del etc that are also on the top of the keyboard do not work. 
I have done the following:
Restarted the computer.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the driver as found on the HP website.
Done a COMPLETE reset of Windows 8.
Tried it in safe mode to no avail.

The keys also do not work in BIOS.

I start University on Monday and really hope I can get this fixed before then :/

Thanks for all your help in advance,

Jordan

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (604 Views)

Re: HP G6-2304AU - Keyboard not working two weeks after purchase.

[ Edited ]

If it won't work in the BIOS or Safe Mode, the keyboard is faulty already.

Go back to where you bought it from and exchange it fro a new laptop if you can, otherwise contact HP and set up a warranty claim.

In the mean time you can use the on-screen keyboard.

With out checking (I am on A W7 machine right now)

Go to the aps window, right click and a button will show up at the bottom right of the screen _ all aps.

Click on that and find Accessories > Ease Of Access > On Screen Keyboard.

EDIT:  The on screen key board is simply in the "All Aps" Window.

Honor Student
Guinner
Message 3 of 4 (594 Views)

Thanks for your reply, 

I was thinking that was the problem, but hoping otherwise. I guess i'll go return it on Monday; using an external keyboard in the meantime.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (576 Views)

Personally I would get a Lenovo or Sony if I was using it for school _ if you can get something else other then an HP.

If you must buy HP for school, don't game on it, keep it cool and only use it for school.

Store all important work on an external hard drive/flash drive.

Partitioning a laptop hard drive is a waste of time because when (you notice I said when and not if) the hard drive fails, you have a very slim chance of getting important work off the drive.

Lots of pissed off students here with failed HP laptops just outside the warranty and poor service from HP while with in the warranty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation