This is nothing new.

I have an HP G60-125nr

AMD Turion 64 X2 RM-70 2.0ghz

Nvidia Geforce 8200m

3GB DDR2 RAM

250GB HDD 5400rpm

15.6" Display

Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2

Temperatures: (monitored using HW-Monitor and Speed Fan)

Idle: 60-70C

Browsing the web: 70-90C

Watching Flash Videos (non-HD): 90-110C

What browser am I using?

Internet Explorer 9 without plugins

What am I doing?

Checking email and watching flash videos

What have I done to fix the problem?

1. Reapplyed thermal paste w/ Arctic Cooling MX-2 (half-pea-sized method) on both CPU and IGPU

2. Reinstalled Windows (I know, this does nothing, but HP Support always reccomends this)

3. Virus Scan using Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes

4. HP Support

5. Opening the laptop and cleaning it
6. Cooling pads

7. Update BIOS

8. Update Drivers

None of these solutions work.

What have I found to be the problem?

1. Design problem. The CPU and IGPU are on the same dinky (tiny) copper line. This in no way is sufficient to disperse the heat.

2. The fan vent is too small.

3. AMD and Nvidia runs hot together.

4. HP used thermal pad (looked like a piece of foam) on the IGPU. The IGPU does not even touch the copper, but another metal that hardly conducts heat well. The thermal paste was also rock hard.

What computer experience do I have?

Lots

What should I do?

Intern
bugger1
Message 2 of 9 (1,372 Views)

Re: HP G60-125nr Overheating

Bump. Any suggestions?

Intern
bugger1
Message 3 of 9 (1,359 Views)

Bump. :smileyhappy:

Intern
bugger1
Message 4 of 9 (1,333 Views)

I still have this problem. :smileysad:

Intern
bugger1
Message 5 of 9 (1,321 Views)

I do not understand. I write my thread and problem neater and clearer than other threads, but somehow I get ignored, and threads that are less understandable are answered.

Student
Crystal60
Message 6 of 9 (1,258 Views)

I've been having this same problem with my G60. I'm pretty sure I have the same or similar specifications as you do. Unfortunately, I haven't found a solution. Have you had any luck?

Teacher
Dhawalz
Message 7 of 9 (1,257 Views)

what u can do is just update the bios from hp.com & also open HP support assistance than click on maintain & click on refresh than install all the updates. delete the temp files by opening run command & type %temp% & prefetch & delete all the files by pressing shift+del. also run the disk cleanup but if still facing same issue than try to use a chillmat

Dhawalzzz!
Student
sadsack
Message 8 of 9 (942 Views)

I have the same issue with my G60.  Overheating

Student
BLKitt
Message 9 of 9 (856 Views)

I have the same problem. The hard drive under my left palm gets extremely hot. The problem has gotten bad enough that the plastc border around the keyboard is starting to warp from it. I'm thoroughly defragged, virus and malware checked. I went through last night and deleted everything that I have not used on it to clear up more space. My HD is at about 60% full. The inside of the case is clean, and all fans are running

After purchase, I was able to run MMO games, stream long videos, with almost no perceptible change in temp. This problem has grown over the last 7 months to the point where I can no longer

Last night, web surfing with Firefox, reading news, social media, and 4, four minute flash videos raised the temp in the hard drive from 30C when it started to 66C over the course of about 3 hours.

My plan is to back up the drive, create a recovery disk, replace the drive and restore everything. I'll report here on how that worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation