Question

Honor Student
AdrianEM
Message 1 of 4 (6,126 Views)

HP G60 Backlight

So I bought this laptop in November 08, so it is now out of warranty.  While still in warranty I had to send it back because it ran hot and eventually just would not come on, despite the fact that I went through three lap fans trying to keep the thing cool.  Everything is going fine till the week before Thanksgiving 09 when I go to open the lid of my laptop to awaken it from sleep and the screen is half greyed for a moment before going completely dark. I close the lid and reopen it's fine, okay, just a fluke.  I don't use my laptop much, 'cause of the Thanksgiving holiday, but come the following monday go to turn on the laptop and the screen shows the hp logo greyed for a moment then goes completely blank, but I can see that it still is opening Windows so I wait awhile to see if the login screen comes up, the close the lid reopen and it's fine.  

The problem proceeds to get worse, where first it's just reopening the lid that makes the flash to black, but eventually leads to if the laptop is the least bit warm, the screen will flash and blackout whenever trying to light the blacklight.  When the AC is plugged in the screen is actually darker than when unplugged, just tested that to see how that might be adding to the problem and doesn't help having it in or out.  The backlight still works completely if I do manage to get it lit, but if for any reason it gets turned off it's another battle to get the screen relit.

I contact HP support, we have back and forth emails. Updated drivers, updated bios; check, check.  It's a hardware problem probably, but it's out of warranty.  They tell me to send my information to get it repaired at no point telling me what the cost might be. I figure the actuator switch might be faulty, 'though I can't find it.  I email my info, we get on the phone so the can verify my info after 10-15mins on their part doing god knows what. The foreign fellow says everything is set I get a confirmation number, no price quoted. Okay maybe they see this as a common problem.  The same foreign fellow, who seemed to be having is training that day calls back about 20 mins later to tell me he didn't see the laptop wasn't under warranty, so the charge will be 400 dollars.  I spent 650+tax for this laptop a little over a year ago, and now comparable laptops run in the 400 range, and they want me to spend 400 dollars to repair what I think may be a tiny switch.  I thought Sony made bad products, but god, drain me dry.  I am not happy at all. I do not have a job at the moment, and the laptop is my main source of odd jobs, computer work and such, in the area, so this is a giant blow.  If you can't make a quality product perhaps you should not be in business.

Adrian

Teacher
urpoodoo
Message 2 of 4 (6,110 Views)

Re: HP G60 Backlight

Well it sounds to me that your lcd inverter is not plugged in all the way. Lets make sure i understand your issue. When you move the lcd open or closed then the lcd backlight goes out but you still can see the HP logo but the backlight is out? So if that is the case then that is what i think it is.

Honor Student
AdrianEM
Message 3 of 4 (6,091 Views)

So how did it come unplugged? Where is it? and How do I fix it?

The problem is anytime the backlight tries to come on, and the laptop is slightly warm, it flashes and then stays black.  Yes, it usually happens when opening closing the lid, but also if the laptop reboots after updates, when it starts back up the backlight flashes and goes dark as well.

Teacher
urpoodoo
Message 4 of 4 (6,064 Views)

does the lcd ever turn red during this. If it does then you have a bad lcd. Now if it does what you are saying then you could have a bad lcd inverter. the lcd inverter is located under the lcd bezel. Now the lcd inverter is nothing to play around with it has very highvoltage. Now being a G60 almost all of the ones i have worked on have been under OEM warranty so you should check into that.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation