Question

Student
metuchenhp
Message 1 of 4 (17,101 Views)

HP G60 Hard Drive Replacement

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anybody can help me around HP hard drive replacement policy...

Basically I bought a G60 notebook a little more than a month ago from Best Buy, and have been having problems with it not booting and getting the blue screen once in a while.  I just called HP technical support today and we did the Hard Drive diagnostics test and it failed.  So tech support told me that they can send a replacement hard drive, but will need to hold a charge of $200 on my credit card until I send them (and they receive) the faulty hard disk that I currently have.  

Now...I know $200 is not a lot of money for some people, but it is for us and we need the funds for daily expenses, in short, I can't provide the $200.  The tech support was nice but couldn't give me any other options, e.g. I can't bring the faulty hard drive to a service location or something like that.  They also refuse to send me the replacement hard drive without the $200 collateral.

One way that I'm thinking of asking them is if I can send them the faulty hard drive first, and after they receive it, they can then send the replacement hard drive.

I'm wondering if anybody have had any experience with this issue?  From several search on the web, hard drive failure like this is not that uncommon especially for the G60 and people must have been dealing with having to get HP replace their hard drive... so if you have any suggestions on how to get around this, I would be very grateful...

Thanks!

Albert

Grad Student
nazcar4u
Message 2 of 4 (17,099 Views)

Re: HP G60 Hard Drive Replacement

you should have the option to ship it in for repair at no charge to you.

All of my posts reflect my opinion only and not of HP.
Provost
Huffer
Message 3 of 4 (17,088 Views)

Agreed or if it is too much hassle just buy a hard drive (less than $75) and forget HP. I don't quarrel with the deposit but it is at least twice what it needs to be to protect HP.
Honor Student
ChristianL2010
Message 4 of 4 (14,221 Views)

I own a G-60 Lap Top as well and it came with Vista home premium. After a year of flawless use, i upgraded to Windows7 Ultimate and have had nothing but NTFS.sys crashes ever since. the repair tool drilled it down to a bad hard drive so i am replaceing the hard drive. I havent dealt with HP on this issue because Ive heard of the "collaterial charge" clause and i'm not in a position to dole out that kind of money on a "hope". As an alternative, i went to my local Fry's Electronics and bought a new hard drive. There is nothing in the "hand book" that says you have to use an HP manufactured hard drive PLUS if you buy a different drive, you could get a much larger capacity drive for about the same or less cost of the Stock HP drive. I say tell the HP CSR thanks but no thanks and go to your local computer store.:smileywink:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation