Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Hi, 

I have a G72 laptop.

When I first got it, the Synaptics Touch pad would automatically disable when I plugged in my USB mouse.

What a great idea!

I have just had to format and reinstall WIndows 7 home, from the supplied Recovery Partition.

This was a nice, pain free procedure, except that my Touch Pad doesn't disable any more.

I have looked most places I can think of and can't find any reference to it.

Anyone know the  the Magic Incantation??

Many thanks

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello again John822179,

It may have been a feature that was not included in the driver you are currently running. You can remove that driver and reinstall the original driver that came with your computer by following the instructions I am providing below:

Step 1. Click Start

Step 2. Click Control Panel

Step 3. Click on Device Manager

Step 4. Click on Mice and other pointing devices

Step 5. Right-click on your mouse driver and select Uninstall

Step 6. Download and review the HP Support document: Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7). Use it to reinstall your Trackpad drivers that originally came with your computer.

This should give you the functionality you are looking for back. Again thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

Find out a bit more about me by checking out my profile!

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello John822179,

I understand that after you reinstalled your Windows 7 the installation of a USB mouse did not automatically disable the touchpad as before. I am providing you with some steps to follow to see if we can get this back for you.

Step 1. Click Start

Step 2. In the Search field type "mouse"

Step 3. Click on Mouse

Step 4. Click on the Device Settings Tab in the upper right

Step 5. Put a check in the box that says Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached

Step 6. Click Apply and then OK

This should give you back the functionality you are looking for. If you do not see the check box indicated I would like you to download and install the Synaptics TouchPad Driver and retry the steps above.

This should give you back the functionality you had before. Thank you for posting this issue on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Please click the "Thumbs Up" on the bottom right of this post to say thank you if you appreciate the support I provide!

Also be sure to mark my post as “Accept as Solution" if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others who face the same challenge find the same solution.

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

"Customers don’t expect you to be perfect. They do expect you to fix things when they go wrong." ~ Donald Porter
HP Recommended

Hello Dunidar,

Many thanks for your resply to me question.

Unfortunately, My version of Mouse Properties doesn't have this entry.

My version of Mouse Properties is:

Synaptics Pointing Device  v15.0.24 03Jun10

Is my copy out of date?  I don't see why, it came off the Installation drive.

Many thanks

John

HP Recommended

Hello again John822179,

It may have been a feature that was not included in the driver you are currently running. You can remove that driver and reinstall the original driver that came with your computer by following the instructions I am providing below:

Step 1. Click Start

Step 2. Click Control Panel

Step 3. Click on Device Manager

Step 4. Click on Mice and other pointing devices

Step 5. Right-click on your mouse driver and select Uninstall

Step 6. Download and review the HP Support document: Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 7). Use it to reinstall your Trackpad drivers that originally came with your computer.

This should give you the functionality you are looking for back. Again thank you for posting on the HP Forums. Have a great day!

Dunidar
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

Hello Dunidar,

Brilliant,  that's fixed it!!!!!!!

Many thanks for your help.

John

HP Recommended

None of the above worked for me can't get touch pad off by any program solutions. tried them all.  Get a roll of aluminum duct tape (comes in black also)  TAPE OVER THE ENTIRE TOUCHPAD NEATLY.  TOTALLY DISABLED.  WORKS ON ANY LAPTOP.  Peel off to turn on again.  Sometimes the simplest soloutin is the best and easiest.  I have used a small laptop size optical mouse (about $4.) to replace the often mis-directed touchpad on all my laptops from day 1.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.