Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

I have a brand new 15.6" HP Pavillion 15-p157sa laptop running Windows 8.1, which is greaat except for the keybord issue I've been unable to solve.  Whilst typing, I'm occasionally getting double instances of the same chaaracter inputted with single key presses.

I'm having to go bacck and corrrect everything I type iin beefore I posst it.  For tthe purpose of this forum post, I'vee just left everything as it is without corrrecting the doublee letters - by way of sshowing you exacctly wwhat's happening.

My first thouught was that it's ccaused by typing too hard orr too ssoftt, so I tested that theory aandd ffoundd no change.

I then tried changging the key repeat delay settingss, but this also made no difference.

I'vve also tried ussingg the 'key bouncee' settings under acccessibilitty.  This didn't heelp either, as the fastest delay you can set it to is 0.5 seconds, sso I ended up having keey presses missed out aaltoggether, unless I slowed ddown my typing speeed.

I've searcheed the net and these forumss for a ssolution, but all I can ffind iss the isssue where people geet multiplee, different characteers appearing on scrreen, not the same characcteers doubling up, as you can see from this post.

If anyone couldd thrrow mee a bone here, I'd appreciaatee it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The answer you need is here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Keyboard-has-a-tendency-to-repeat-keystrokes-maaking/...

I tried all the other suggested fixes: BIOS updates/changes; keyboard settings, uninstalling drivers, etc. The link above, which will lead you through changing the "Bounce Key Rate" in the Registry was finally the fix.

I had three HP Envy computers in a row with this problem - many hours wasted with fixes and returns. No one at HP could ever figure it out - thanks to 'talkingtoaj2' for figuring out HP's problem. He should get compensated!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Dear Customer,

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

It looks like you are having issues with the Keyboard on your Notebook.

We will surely assist you with this.

Troubleshooting: 

Step 01. Click on the Start Button and go to Control Panel

Step 02. Open the Device Manager and expand the Keyboard from the list

Step 03. Right click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard and click on Uninstall

Note: This driver will get installed again automatically on your Notebook

Step 04. Please turn OFF the Notebook

Step 05. Un-plug the Power/AC Adapter and also remove the Battery too

Step 06. Press and Hold the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minute

Step 07. Now let's re-insert the battery back in and plug back the Power/AC Adapter

Step 08. Start the Notebook and keep tapping F10 Key during the startup to access the BIOS

Step 09. Once you get to the BIOS, Please press F9 or F5 Key[Model specific] to load setup defaults for the BIOS

Step 10. Use the arrow keys to say "YES" and hit enter

Step 11. Now let's press Esc/Escape Key. Save Changes and Exit - Yes

Step 11. Now please wait till the Unit loads the Windows Operating system

If the issue still persists please check and verify if an External Keyboard works fine with your Notebook

Note: Please click on the below shown link to find more troubleshooting steps

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05336150 (Link Updated 05/01/2017)

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.  I'll try out your suggestion, and one of the suggestions on the linked page you posted, in the next couple of days.  If all goes well I'll pop back and click the solved button.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome!! Please let us know if you need further support, so we can help again

Thank You,

K N R K

I work on behalf of HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I finally got round to trying out your suggestion.  Sorry I took so long.

First, I couldn't accesss the BIOS with F10, and Windows launched as normal.  I then found that the keyboaard wasn't functioning at all, (presumaably duee to the fact that I'd uninstalled it - duuh!)

I restarted the laptop and found the keyboard had started working again, so I hit restart again and tried to launch the BIOS mode with F10, but this doesn't work at all.  No BIOS access.  At least not by using F10, anyway.

As you can read from this post, I'm still getting the double triggering on the keyboard, but it now seems to be happening less often.

I'm now going to try out using an external USB keyboard.  The following text (in italics) is some random stuff I'm going to type using the external keyboard.

Okay, I'm now using the external keyboard.  So far there seems to be no double triggering of letters as I type with this external USB device, so it's so far so good.  I ought to type in a few more lines just to further test the theory.  The keys on this extrenal keyboard are much more traditional - in that they are quite raised up, whereas the keys on the laptop are very shallow and close to the keyboard itself, with much less tactile feedback.  These external keyboard keys are much more springy and satisfying to type with.  I'll end this paragraph here, as I think we've proven that the problem seems to be with the laptop keyboard and is not occurring on this external device.

So, any further advice?  I don't really want to have to use an external keyboard all the time on a laaptop.

HP Recommended

I had a post discussing this same exact issue on my shiny new Envy 2x Detachable.

I found an older thread (which I replied to) which had 4 or 5 pages of people having the same issue with an HP laptop. The solution in there was a BIOS update from F.06 to F.08. This would not work for me as the BIOS won't install on my machine.

I tried everything you did.

After an hour and a half with HP support, here's what we did.

In control panel there were 3 HID keyboards installed for some reason. We removed all three and rebooted.

There is an updated BIOS for my machine which we  installed.

Now, the problem still remains but it's much more tolerable. Where as it used to happen every 4 or 5 words it now happens every once or twice a sentence depending on how I type.

Here is a sentence where I will not correct any repeating characters in an effort to show you how often it happens with tthe fixes applied.

It kind of irks me because this is supposed to be HPs top of the line machine.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-Systems-and-Software/Envy-x2-keyboard-problem/td-p/2...

HP Recommended

Hmmm. Sounds like something thaat isn't solvable theen.  I don't want to rreturn the laptop as I'm happy with everything else about it, it's set up wwith aall my ssoftwaare, and there'ss no guaaraanteee a replacement won't have the saame problem.

If aanyone else has any ideaas, I'm all earss.

Cheers.

HP Recommended

Try using compressed air on the keyboard  from a can or an air compressor .

HP Recommended

I am extremely sorry for the delay in resonding to query as I was away on my vacation

According to the message you have recently posted I would like to confirm that this could be a hardware issue and I strongly recommend you to immediately Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance without any delay to get your Notebook diagnosed and serviced by an authorized HP Certified Engineer

You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status

Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again

**Click the KUDOS star on left to say Thanks**

Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,

K N R K

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The answer you need is here:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/Keyboard-has-a-tendency-to-repeat-keystrokes-maaking/...

I tried all the other suggested fixes: BIOS updates/changes; keyboard settings, uninstalling drivers, etc. The link above, which will lead you through changing the "Bounce Key Rate" in the Registry was finally the fix.

I had three HP Envy computers in a row with this problem - many hours wasted with fixes and returns. No one at HP could ever figure it out - thanks to 'talkingtoaj2' for figuring out HP's problem. He should get compensated!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.