Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Some power cords for HP and Compaq and mini notebook computers sold from September 2010 through June 2012 may be part of voluntary recall and replacement program launched on August 26, 2014.

The impacted power cords have the potential to overheat, posing a fire, and burn hazard.

To see if your cord may be affected, look for a “LS-15” marking molded into the connector that plugs into the AC adapter.   

1 slide.JPG

If you see a LS-15 marking please go to http://www.hp.com/support/PowerCordReplacement

Please note that there are two parts needed to charge your laptop.

1)      The first part is the power cord that plugs into the wall.

Figure 1

photo 2.jpg

2)      The second part is the adapter.

Figure 2

photo 3.jpg

HP is ONLY recalling the power cord used with HP and Compaq notebooks and mini notebooks and accessories such as docking stations. (See Figure 1)

To qualify your power cord and request and replacement, go here.

Since power cords for laptops are compatible, you can use another power cord with your AC adapter until the replacement one arrives.

I worked for HP.
114 REPLIES 114
HP Recommended

None of the links shown in your post are active.

I have three HP notebook cordsets with the LS-15 Marking, and I don't have any other compatable cords at the moment since these are the first IEC 60320 C-5 (Mickey) cordsets we have. All the rest are IEC 60320 C-13 cordsets which seem to be more prevalant in the USA.

What is the timeframe for getting the replacement cordsets and the links working? What is specific warning signs of possible trouble with the cordset?

HP Recommended

The link to the Power Cord Recall is now up. On the left side of the page is a link to order status. You will need to enter your first name, last name and order number.  The order number is found on the confirmation invoice emailed to you at the time of order.

To reduce the likelihood that a power cord failure will cause damage, you should immediately cease use of the recalled power cords. Because these power cords  pose a potential safety hazard to customers, it is extremely important that these are validated on the program website: www.hp.com/support/PowerCordReplacement

All cables affected will have LS-15 in the black plastic on the adapter end of the power cord. However, not all cables with LS-15 will be affected.

If the customer’s notebook, power cord or AC adapter show any signs of thermal failure, please contact HP and the standard Health and Safety elevation process will be followed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP employee.
Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.
HP Recommended

What is/are the affected part numbers(s) and data code(s) of the power cords?  The online tool is too cumbersome to use to check dozens of power cords.

HP Recommended

Does HP really expect us to individually validate every single laptop in our fleet to see if the cord that originally shipped with the machine is included in the recall? That's putting your customers through a lot of hoops to resolve an issue that could result in a safety hazard. 

Also, and as you yourselves point out in the bulletin, these cords are completely interchangable, and there's no guarantee that the cord in use on the machine is the one that shipped with it. 

Please provide an easier method to determine if these cords are affected by the recall. Thanks.

HP Recommended

"Does HP really expect us to individually validate every single laptop in our fleet to see if the cord that originally shipped with the machine is included in the recall?"

I just spend an hour on the phone listening to hold music before I could talk to "Kevin" to try and explain this same problem.  I think he finally understood and told me to send an email for bulk replacement.  However, the email address that he gave me does not seem to be valid.  He gave me hppowercord.ams.bulk@hp.com.  Can someone please give us the correct address for bulk replacement?

HP Recommended
That is the correct email ID to be supplied to Commercial customers for bulk orders. I am checking this internally and will keep you posted. I too got an undeliverable message.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am an HP employee.
Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may select the "Kudos" button on any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.
HP Recommended
For non-commercial customers, you may utilize the email link on the right pane of the program website. The same place where you will find Order Status. Please provide the same information required by the tool.
I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Okay my cord is one being recalled. I went to the verification process and mailing info just to keep getting an error msg below. I guess I get to play the phone game tomorrow?

An internal error has occured in Single Order Entry
Please contact the administrator

HP Recommended

I need to verify the power cables of almost 100 computers that are in production. The email address stated above does not work and the online form is extremely cumbersome and errors out half of the time. Even if I could easily get the information off of each power adapter there's no way that I could spend the time it would take to fill out the online form repeatedly to get my replacements. How do I bulk submit information for replacement? If it's via an email, how does the email need to be formatted? What information needs to be included? A proper announcement for the companies that buy 100s of your machines would be nice.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.