Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I'm not a computer person, so I apologize in advance if I get terms wrong. All information regarding specifications are from the HP Support Assistant. 

I have an HP Pavilion G6 Notebook (Product number A4A93UA#ABA)

I'm running Windows 7 (64-bit)

My microprocessor (if this matters) is an Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2430M CPU @2.40GHz

I have 4GB of system memory

The pointing device is Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad

Hopefully I didn't miss anything important.

I'm having a few problems, mainly the left mouse button isn't working at all. I've searched and searched for an answer but I can't seem to find one. The touchpad itself is working perfectly. I can double tap to click, tap and drag to highlight, etc. The right mouse button is working fine as well. It brings up a menu everytime like it's supposed to. The left button on the other hand, isn't working at all. I've had the computer for about 6 months, so my warranty is still in tact. I was just hoping to find a simple fix before I go through the process of sending it back to HP or Best Buy.

At first, the left button seemed laggy. It would work sometimes, and not others. Then it stopped completely (all within a time frame of a few days) This happened about a month ago. Since then, I've been searching for answers, and just dealing with it. even though it's super annoying! 

Another thing I've noticed is that around the time that the mouse button itself has stopped working, my start menu was cleared out entirely. When I searched for the HP Support Assistant, it didn't come up. I had to go through the Program Files to get to it. Nothing is showing up in the start menu - it's blank with the exception of Norton, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and the Accessories menu (but inside it, Notepad, Run, and Command Prompt are the only things that show up.

So overall - my start menu is nearly blank, and my left mouse button isn't working at all.

I have tried installing new drivers, but no luck. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I want to say it is a hardware issue but the thing about part of the menus disappearing makes me wonder if it is a virus. I would try a Windows preboot environment CD like Hiren's and see if the mouse works with different software. But that is a longshot and the likely answer is that the mouse circuit board is bad. The only other thing you could try is a factory restore.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

I want to say it is a hardware issue but the thing about part of the menus disappearing makes me wonder if it is a virus. I would try a Windows preboot environment CD like Hiren's and see if the mouse works with different software. But that is a longshot and the likely answer is that the mouse circuit board is bad. The only other thing you could try is a factory restore.

HP Recommended
I'll try a factory restore. If that doesn't work, I'll just see what HP has to say about it. Thank you!
HP Recommended

Did you get a solution to your problem?  Mine is similar.  My left mouse (touchpad) button will suddenly stop working.  Everything else on the touchpad appears to continue working, just the left mouse button stops.  Sometimes it will begin working again after several minutes and sometimes I have to reboot for it to begin working again.

HP Recommended
dll_guate,

What model of notebook do you have?
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I'm also having the same problem with my left mouse button suddenly not working.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to what makes it stop, and it can last for several minutes before starting to inexplicably work again or I may have to shut my computer down completely.

I have an HP Pavilion m7-1015dx that I just purchased mid- to late last year.

HP Recommended

Hello LAHPUser,

I understand at times the left click button the touchpad will stop functioning.

Because this issue is sporadic and doesn't happen all the time we will try our best to correct the issue.

First thing let’s see what driver version you have for your touchpad. Access your device manager if your not sure how to get there click on this link,  once there go down to the section mice and other pointing devices. Expand that section then right click on synaptics touchpad, then left click on properties. You should get a window that comes up click on the driver tab and see what it says regarding driver version.

After that task click on this link which will take you to the most recent driver update and if the driver is older than what you see on the webpage install that driver.

Let me know what you get.

Thanks 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

I'm using the most updated version of the driver: Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad.  (I tried to update it just in case, but it confirmed that I have the most updated one from the site.)

HP Recommended

LAHPUser,

Okay good deal; let’s try checking your current bios firmware to make sure it is up date. From your desktop screen click on the start menu, type system information in the search box (does not press enter). After that if you look at the top of the row there will be system information that you can click on, a window then will open and on the right side go to bios version. Compare the bios version to what this link shows as the most recent release, if the link is more current please install that update.

If you end up having to update the bios save the file first and then download it, also have the ac adapter plugged in throughout the process.

Let me know if you end up having to update it.

Thanks 

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
HP Recommended

Yeah, I had to update the BIOS driver.  I've already installed the update and my computer has been restarted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.