Question

Tutor
LoudNoise
Message 1 of 38 (5,704 Views)

HP Mini 1000 - Poorly designed screen rubber feet causing scratches...

Is anyone else having this problem?  I've had my Mini for maybe a month, and there is already a huge line of scratches across the top portion of the screen because there is not enough of a gap between it and the keyboard and the screen when it's closed.
Tutor
Downunder
Message 2 of 38 (5,699 Views)

Re: HP Mini 1000 - Poorly designed screen rubber feet causing scratches...

Yes. The problem is more common than one would like to believe. I don't have a problem with my Compaq laptop. However, an old Latitude laptop that I have (now kids' laptop) has exactly the same problem. There is not enough clerance between the LCD and the keyboard. Hence the keyboard was rubbing against the screen when the lid is closed.

I suspect this is the odd quality issue rather than a mass manufacturing defect. Why don't you claim warranty with HP?

Top Student
rockyjudd
Message 3 of 38 (5,669 Views)

I received mine for Christmas. I have a huge straight line of scratches across the screen and also forming entirely around the trackpad. My father also received one for christmas, that he has hardly used, but he still has a small line of scratches forming. Hopefully they will have a recall or something big, the clearence was very poorly designed and I am planning on using my warranty soon. Awesome laptop...HUGE design flaw.
Top Student
rockyjudd
Message 4 of 38 (5,668 Views)

And I just realized I have a huge group of scratches about an inch right of the webcam. Frustrating! I have babied the laptop....
Honor Student
TexasGrillchef
Message 5 of 38 (5,611 Views)

I have reported it to HP.... They are claiming it won't be convered under warranty. I have written a letter to the HP Consumer Affairs division. They have taken care of me before.

In the mean time. I went to Walmart and purchased some tiny clear silicon "Feet" ($1,99 for a set of 24) and are using 2 of them placed appropriately on the lid, Works great!

TGC

Tutor
LoudNoise
Message 6 of 38 (5,608 Views)

Ah, so poor quality, or what I would say is basically a manufactureing defect is not covered under warranty?  That's sad, somehow I feel like maybe I should've gone with the Asus EEE after all.

I'll send a letter to Consumer Affairs as well.  This is obviously a problem that needs to be addressed.

Top Student
rockyjudd
Message 7 of 38 (5,597 Views)

[ Edited ]

I emailed them with the problem and they sent off a fed-ex box to me for replacement. Not sure why they didn't do the same for you guys? Absoloutely ridiculous if it's not covered under warranty. It is a huge manufacturing defect.

And thanks for the idea Texas. I will have to go and pick up a few once I (hopefully) get a replacement screen. 

Message Edited by rockyjudd on 01-06-2009 08:55 PM
Message Edited by rockyjudd on 01-06-2009 08:55 PM
Tutor
LoudNoise
Message 8 of 38 (5,365 Views)

Has anyone else had any luck with this?  I can't get HP to respond to my emails regarding the issue.
Top Student
rockyjudd
Message 9 of 38 (5,338 Views)

I finally got a response from HP after I sent my laptop in. I clearly stated what was wrong with my laptop and they said they would replace the screen free of cost, so after sending it in I get another message. The screen will not be honored in warranty, because the scratches were MY FAULT. I am not exactly sure how a straight line of scratches occuring from the lid being closed can possibly be considered a fault of my own, but whatever. $453 to fix the screen, I said no thanks. Conclusion: I just bought my last product from HP.
Top Student
rockyjudd
Message 10 of 38 (5,329 Views)

I would encourage anyone that cares about the issue to contact HP and everyone else you can so they have to pay for their own design flaw. It's really a joke that this company won't honor the warranty.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation