Question

Honor Student
HpHappyOne
Message 1 of 3 (858 Views)

HP Mini Hard Drive Failure, it lasted for years, how to recover?

[ Edited ]

I love my HP Mini, and it has lasted more than 3.5 years. I'd love to know how to recover my hard drive and use the programs and data again. I also prefer XP, any way I can recover my data and programs? 

Symptoms right now. 
Noisy grinding fan noise for 2 weeks
Slow operation
Extra hot temperature
Now says "Backup and Replace."

PC Version:
HP Mini/ Windows XP

Samsung HS06THB NN100-04
Ultra DMA Mode-5, S.M.A.R.T. Capable and Status BAD, Backup and Replace
MCH is operating in DDr2-533/CL4 in Single-Channel Mode 1016 MB

HP Mini
Product Number: FT313UA#ABA
System Board ID: 361A
Bios Version F.05
Serial Number [Personal Information Removed]
Processor Speek 1600Mhz

Honor Student
HpHappyOne
Message 2 of 3 (857 Views)

Re: HP Mini Hard Drive Failure, it lasted for years, how to recover?

[ Edited ]

I added this reply to paste plain text but now see I can edit the original post. 

Thanks for suggesting any next steps about recovering my hard drive programs and data. 

Provost
Huffer
Message 3 of 3 (846 Views)

Re: HP Mini Hard Drive Failure, it lasted for years, how to recover?

Does it still boot into Windows at all? First thing is to stop using it. Every time you try to boot up it does a little more damage. Basically, the answer is you have to remove the hard drive and try to clone it to another. The only way to save programs is by cloning. You would do that with another computer with drive copying software and connect the old and a new blank drive with usb adapters and run the copying program. Even if it cannot be cloned to another drive you can likely recover some or all of the data. I can get data off a drive that is too damaged to clone. The worse the drive is the more of the data will be corrupted however.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation