Question

Student
smj887
Message 1 of 5 (8,131 Views)

HP Pacvilion dv7 - DVD drive not reading discs

I'm having a problem with my DVD drive where it's not reading discs. When I turn the computer on or wake it up, the drive will make an extremely loud whirring sound that lasts about 15-20 seconds. It's silent other than that, but when I insert a DVD, it will make the same sound along with a slight grinding noise. In the My Computer window, it never switches to the DVD icon. It's as though there's no disc in the drive, although I can hear the drive attempting to read it.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I installed it when it was released, the issue with the DVD drive didn't begin until early December. At first it would read discs every now and then, but now it's to the point where it won't CD's/DVD's at all. I did online chat support, the guy I spoke with just had me go into the device manager and uninstall/reinstall the drive. This didn't do anything and he suggest I disconnect and reconnect the DVD drive. This seems more like a hardware issue to me, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a similar issue. If I can find out that disconnecting/reconnecting the drive won't be a waste of my time, then I'll try it, but I'd like to be sure first.

If it's relevant, the product name is HP Pavilion dv7-1245dx. The product number is NB231UA#ABA.

Tutor
lcseds
Message 2 of 5 (8,064 Views)

Re: HP Pacvilion dv7 - DVD drive not reading discs

The drive needs to be replaced. That's all. Not unusual for the cheap and fragile notebook optical drives.

Honor Student
dngcal
Message 3 of 5 (7,835 Views)

I am having the same problem and HP does not post a solution.  Some disks will play and others will not.  For example; my wife purchased the 3 year set of start trek.  Some disks will read while others will not.  I believe it has to do with 32 -64 bit compatability.   There is a fault in the DVD drive and I wish HP would just admit to this error.  QUANTA, the maker of laptops for HP, Apple, IBM, Sony and others should provide HP with a driver fix.  I WANT AN **bleep** ANSWER.  HP techs claim they have no clue but this is a MAJOR problem.  NO FIX IT!!!!

Honor Student
Shibuthomas
Message 4 of 5 (6,756 Views)

problem with my DVD drive   I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Almost same problem as above

Student
rowing1s4me
Message 5 of 5 (6,464 Views)

*Giant Sigh of stress* I just got my Hp Pavilion dv7-4071nr yesterday. I did nothing but backup my computer waiting hours for hp to store out of the box conditions of my hard drive. It finished last night and I closed the laptop. This morning I opened it up and as I was about to click log on, I got a blue screen of death. I was like, its just a one time thing, just like the space bar coming off yesterday.... So I then go and grab the disk to install my printer. After putting in the disk and waiting I finally opened up My Computer and double clicked on the disk drive. It then popped back out my disk and said insert a disk that this computer can read. If this is because its 64-bit I will be just as pissed off if its because of hp. Oh and theres more! Yesterday I plugged in my 500g usb harddrive and the computer sees it BUT it cant see anything on it while my windows 7 side of my Macbook Pro can read it. WTH heck is going on with my new computer!?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation