Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-p114dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Just got my spouse the Pavilion 15-p114dx (set it up today) and I've noticed the fan is loud sporadically.

It'll run quiet for a few minutes, then you'll hear it get progressively louder, then it's just plain loud and I can hear it clear across the room.  It'll stay loud for about 60 seconds then calms down again.

Is this normal for this machine?  Should I be worried?  

All he runs is word and several websites (CNN, BBC, CNBC, and his various email accounts)...Is there something I can do?

Is it because these websites constantly refresh?  He used Chrome and Firefox and Internet Explorer and it happened on all three browsers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @paditur ,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I hope you have a great experience with us!

I see that you are worried about the sound of your fan. You don't have anything to worry about the fan will run pretty much all the time and this behavior is normal for laptops. If you are truly concern then clean it out using this HP document Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @paditur ,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I hope you have a great experience with us!

I see that you are worried about the sound of your fan. You don't have anything to worry about the fan will run pretty much all the time and this behavior is normal for laptops. If you are truly concern then clean it out using this HP document Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Thank you,

BHK6

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Hi @BHK6,

Thanks for your reply.  Thank you or the link to the HP document Reducing Heat...

The laptop is only a few days old, so I don't think it's a dust build up issue.  But I will contact HP support in help in updating the BIOs.  I'll also get a cooling fan so the laptop can sit on that. It is alread on an angle so that the vents underneath have ample room.

I'm glad to hear that this is typical behavior for laptops, my spouse likes the machine very much and I'd hate to have to return it.

HP Recommended

Yes, this is typical behaviour, but not for all the laptops, only for the HP laptops.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.