Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hi,

I bought an HP Pavilion G6 notebook only a couple of months ago, and I have had this problem from the beginning. I have looked at some other forums and it seems like a lot of people have had the same problem with the laptop being plugged in, but not charging.

This problem is really frustrating, as the laptop is plugged in to the power source, and into the laptop, but half the time it isn't even registered as being plugged in. The battery gets drained. Once or twice the battery has fully run out (whilst plugged in) and then been charged to 100% next time it was turned on(???!!!!).

Please tell me if this is some kind of programming or software fault, or if it could be a hardware fault. I have run the battery checker several times and each time it has not found any problems with it. As the laptop sometimes recognises that it is in fact plugged in (but doesn't charge) I personally suspect that it is not a problem with the power adapter.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Thanks.

(Sorry for the long message)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can help us help you by posting the following information.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook - see This HP web documentif you are not sure that you how to locate the model number and\or product number.

2.  The complete version and name of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Go into the Device Manager. (type device in the search programs and files box and click on device manager as seen in the following image)

go_to_device_manager.PNG

Expand the Batteries device.

Right-click on the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and select uninstall.

Do the same thing with the Microsoft AC Adapter device.

devmanager.PNG

After you have uninstalled both devices ,then you can right-click on any of the devices in the Device Manager and select  and click on scan for hardware changes.  When you have done that, the operating system will reinstall the drivers for both devices.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

33 REPLIES 33
HP Recommended

Hi,

You can help us help you by posting the following information.

1.  The full Model No. and Product No. of the notebook - see This HP web documentif you are not sure that you how to locate the model number and\or product number.

2.  The complete version and name of the operating system you are using ( ie Windows 7 64bit ).

Go into the Device Manager. (type device in the search programs and files box and click on device manager as seen in the following image)

go_to_device_manager.PNG

Expand the Batteries device.

Right-click on the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery and select uninstall.

Do the same thing with the Microsoft AC Adapter device.

devmanager.PNG

After you have uninstalled both devices ,then you can right-click on any of the devices in the Device Manager and select  and click on scan for hardware changes.  When you have done that, the operating system will reinstall the drivers for both devices.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi erico,

Product number is: B9Q25EA#ABU

Couldn't find model number.

Operating system is: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

I tried what you suggested, but unfortunately it didn't work; laptop still reads "plugged in, not charging".

Any other possibilities?

Thanks 🙂

HP Recommended

OK.

If you remove the battery are you able to start the notebook and boot into Windows?

HP Recommended

Yes, I can do that

HP Recommended

OK.

Since you can boot into Windows with the power adapter then the  power adapter is OK.

Leave the battery out.

With the notebook plugged into the power adapter and booted  and logged into Windows  go ahead and install the battery. 

Does the charge led change color?

The problem you are running into is that since the battery will not charge, you are unable to use the Diagnostics to test the battery. 

I recommend that you contact HP for warranty service. Let the representative that you talk to know about the problem you are having. The main battery is a warranty replaceable item. (no cost to you).

HP Recommended
How do I install the battery? Do I just put it back in?
HP Recommended
Yes. Just put it back in.
You can do that while the power adapter is plugged in and the notebook is booted into Windows.

HP Recommended

I put the battery back in and it worked- it charged fully. It is plugged in and charging now. Problem solved 🙂

Thanks for all you help!

HP Recommended

@Isabella_X wrote:

I put the battery back in and it worked- it charged fully. It is plugged in and charging now. Problem solved 🙂

Thanks for all you help!

I am glad to have been able to assist you. 🙂

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.