Question

Student
mralbo
Message 1 of 3 (2,045 Views)

HP Pavilion a1230n DVD-RW drive cable

A long time ago I had installed a second hard drive to this tower -- as far as I remember, when I did this, I had to connect the cables (P3, P2, P4, P5, and P6 differently). After installing the the second hard drive the DVD-RW drive lost it's burning capabilities (turned into a CD-ROM) and I was fine with this. Now I have taken the second hard drive out and want to connect the cables so that it's configured the way it was intented by HP -- but the combinations I have tried so far don't recognize the burning capabilities.

I know very little about the hardware structure of computers so I appreciate some help with this. There are two serial lines of white plugs P2-P3-P8   (P2 and P3 are bigger and they both go into the optical drives); and P4-P5-P6. The DVD-RW is stacked above the CD-ROM drive if they tower is standing vertically. Can somebody help me determine what goes where?

my failed combinations are here:

upper drive: P5  P5 P2 P3 

lower drive: P3  P6 P3 P2 

I have tried searching the configuration but haven't had any luck.

Thanks for your help.

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 3 (2,039 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion a1230n DVD-RW drive cable

Very likely the hard drives are SATA. They connect to the motherboard with a thin plastic cable going into a little plastic connector on the motherboard. The P2, etc. you are talking about are actually the power cables. Each hard drive and optical drive has to have both a power cable and a data cable. SATA hard drives may use a molex power which is the white plastic 4 pin thing or they may use a SATA power connector which is a flat plastic cinnector with a right angle bend in the slot. The optical drives are almost certainly IDE drives. They connect to the motherboard with a flat wide cable that ends in 3 plastic connectors full of holes that plug into a series of brass pins on the back of the drive or the motherboard. Each SATA hard drive has to have its own thin data cable to the motherboard. The two optical drives share a single broad flat cable. You also have to jumper the optical drives properly so they can share the cable. You need to set the one at the top of the case to "master" or cable select. That one uses the connector on the very end of the cable. The one that is lower down in the tower is set to either "slave" or cable select. And it uses the connector in the middle of the cable. The IDE cable also has another connector all off by itself at the far end of the cable. That one plugs into the IDE connector on the motherboard. If there are two ide connectors on the motherboard place the optical drives on the secondary cable (IDE secondary or IDE-1 as opposed to IDE primary or IDE-0). The optical drives will have a diagram or labels to show where to place the jumper on the IDE channel selection pins. That is a bank of 7 or 8 pins to the side of the much longer bank of pins where you plug in the flat broad cable to the drive. There will either  be a label on the top of the drive showing how to jumper or stamped in the metal by the jumper pins will be MA SL and CS. This tells you how to do it. SATA drives (the hard drive) do not need jumpers. If the hard drives are also IDE then you do the same as the optical drives but place the hard drives on the IDE-0 channel on the motherboard. Hope this helps.
Student
nenengcresen51
Message 3 of 3 (1,501 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion a1230n DVD-RW drive cable

gud afternoon how can i connnect the p5 and p2 to the hp pavillion t550a

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation