Question

Honor Student
NickR
Message 1 of 18 (22,781 Views)

HP Pavilion dv4000 not charging battery.

I have an HP Pavilion dv4000 laptop. I recently purchased an aftermarket battery and it would not charge. The battery was able to power my computer with the initial charge. I ran the battery diagnostics from HP and it tells me that the battery works properly. The blue LED light does not come on at all. The icon shows that the AC power is on. I have two different power adapters, and neither of them will charge the battery. I exchanged the battery, and the new one does the same thing. So I'm thinking that two power adapters and two batteries do the same thing... What component is between the two that could be the cause of this problem?
Honor Student
njradman
Message 2 of 18 (22,663 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv4000 not charging battery.

I have the exact same problem. I also tried 2 new batteries and 2 adapters. No luck. Did you figure it out yet?
Honor Student
NickR
Message 3 of 18 (22,650 Views)

I tested it with a battery from Batteries Plus. That battery worked just fine. But who wants to pay $125 for a battery? I bought the battery (the one that doesn't charge) from Mambate, and it was made by AGPTEK. They sent me a second battery and it had the same problem. So I ended up with no battery from them, and I spent $20 shipping the two batteries back. They refused to compensate me for my losses (not even a "sorry"). SO I DO NOT RECOMEND BUYING ANYTHING FROM MAMBATE!  I just ordered a new battery from another website. I will let you know how it works. I would not recomend paying someone to diagnose your computer when it's most likely just a battery problem.

Honor Student
njradman
Message 4 of 18 (22,648 Views)

My 2 batteries came  from Aeon Batteries from laptopbatterymart.com. I am hoping to get a refund.
Honor Student
sparky0823
Message 5 of 18 (21,552 Views)

I just came across this thread, looking up the same issue.  I too have a new battery that will not charge...

Someone asked, what is between the charger and the battery and that would be a Charge Regulator inside the chassis.  I doubt it would be part of the motherboard and I don't know if it's replaceable but I'm sure it's there.

Think about this;

Looking at the power icons in the tray...

When I place my old battery in the laptop, the icon is a Battery and it shows 76% charge, as it should.

When I plug in the power adapter, the screen brightens and the icon changes to a Power Cord, however,

it does NOT indicate that it is charging the battery.  This would be indicated in the tray with a Power Cord icon with

a Lighting Bolt across it.

Conclusion:

The power adapter is working because the screen brightens and the icon changes from a battery to a power cord.

This says the external power is being used to power the laptop but the charge regulator is not directing any power

to the battery for charging.

I will be contacting HP to confirm my theory and to see if there is a fix for this issue.

Student
ShawnLutz
Message 6 of 18 (21,399 Views)

Hi has anyone figured this one out yet?  I have the same exact problem.  Computer won't charge battery, charging LED does not light, AC adapter is fine, HP's battery check utility says that the battery is fine, I have tried multiple batteries, none of them charge.  I have read some vague references on other forums about flashing the BIOS but I have no experience with this.  I have also read that a motherboard replacement is the only option.  Any further help would be greatly appreciate.  Thanks so much.

-Shawn

Student
1qv6b
Message 7 of 18 (20,071 Views)

I have the same problem.  Long story short...The batteries are fine, the computer is not charging them when they are connected.  I purchased a 12 cell battery than can charged in the computer, or when it's out of it by directly plugging into the power cord.  When it's in the computer... it doesnt charge up at all.  However when I charge it by itself.... it holds a charge.  So It's definately somthing internal to the lap top.

Honor Student
shawn2571
Message 8 of 18 (19,507 Views)

i too have this very common problem and my only solution was to buy and external battery charger for $25 on ebay.  it look just like a laptop ac adapter except it has a prong on one end that plugs directly  into the battery instead of the laptop, its also nice because you can use one battery while you have another one charging!  i hope this helps?  if anyone figures out the fix for this issue let me know?  :smileysurprised:)

Student
kittybeth
Message 9 of 18 (14,011 Views)

My old battery still charged to 100% but would discharge very quickly so bought a new battery via an Amazon vendor, but it would not charge at all. Tried some of the troubleshooting steps found online without success so returned battery and bought another one fulfilled by Amazon itself.  Same thing - does not charge.  Installed HP Battery Check and it says to replace the battery "the battery is reporting a failure".    

Is it possible to purchase a replacement battery that actually works? Who is a reputable vendor?  

I would buy the external battery charger as suggested, but the problem seems to be with the batteries themselves and not with any of my laptop components.  Not sure what to do next. 

Honor Student
khansu
Message 10 of 18 (12,319 Views)

i have a same problem, charger stop charging the battery.  The charging light on laptop does not come up, we used play with the charging socket and the light do come up now nothing I can to make it work.  I think it is a problem with mother board where charger hook up.  HP has to fix it without charge, there is nothing wrong with the battery and charger it is a issue with the mother board connection.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation