Question

Top Student
Alex-Grigorov
Message 1 of 22 (37,971 Views)

HP Pavilion dv5 Overheating and restarts

My HP Pavilion dv5 3030ro Turion Ultra.. overheats each day. It restarts even when there are simple applications running on it. Dissapointment is complete on the background of already replaced thermal disc and Cover w/ TouchPad&FP

What solution do I have in order to take advantage of this PC?

Student
Mads
Message 2 of 22 (37,950 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5 Overheating and restarts

My computer Hp Pavilion dv5 1225eo is all so overheating each day!

Top Student
DoctorJones
Message 3 of 22 (37,942 Views)

There is a known issue with certain NVIDIA Graphics cards installed in many HP and other manufacturers' laptops from 2007.  A class-action lawsuit is underway.  I have an HP Pavilion 9410us that had this faulty card and just had it repaired by HP for free - but at some effort.

Basically the substrate that this graphics card was built on overheats and not only cooks itself, but other components, namely the Broadom wireless network card which sits right next to it on the motherboard.  Eventually, ALL of these cards WILL fail - they are all bad.  

You need to look on www.hp.com and search for your model to see if it is one of the models that contained this faulty chip.  HP acknowledges this flaw exists and created a 24-month Extended Warranty to replace it, but I was told this ended for my computer on Oct. 31, 2009, or 2 weeks before my graphics card died, but 3 weeks AFTER the wireless had died.  

Call HP's customer service and you will likely be told that your computer is out of warranty and it will cost $269 to repair it.  DO NOT accept this!  Insist that your case be 'escalated' to a case manager and one will be assigned and will call you within 48 hours.  Because I had contacted HP's chat support about the dead wireless before the end of this so-called extended warranty, I had proof and justification for the free repair, but the case manager STILL had to contact corporate HQ to get approval for the free repair.  

HP should have contacted all owners and notified them of this flaw, but they did not, therefore, one reason for the class-action lawsuit.  Do not give up though, push and push if you have to and they should perform the repair.  Keep in mind that when they do this they will replace your entire motherboard AND they will end up doing a system restore on your hard drive to allow Windows to keep working on the new system.  I did not realize this and LUCKILY had a backup of all my data.  MAKE SURE you do a full backup to an external drive or online backup service BEFORE you ship you computer back to HP for repair!!

Also, they replaced my battery as well - which had suffered damage due to the overheating system, which I did not expect, but was grateful that they gave me a new one, since they are about $150 a pop.  

Top Student
Alex-Grigorov
Message 4 of 22 (37,929 Views)

Thanks DoctorJones :smileyhappy:

unfortunately my graphic card is ATI Mobility Radeon HD3450, it looks like I am not "eligible" for extended warranty. I think it could be because of the AMD processor combined with poor technical design of the notebook. I am wondering if really Shawn White or Vanessa Williams did use those products before shooting the ads :smileywink:

And YES I will give my best to get the support I need, I do not have any intention to give it up. However if there is such a case at least I can ask for extended warranty especially if each 4 months my computer really crashes because of overheating

Honor Student
agkrish
Message 5 of 22 (37,274 Views)

Alex

I'm on the same boat as yours - only that I started sailing 1 year ago. Ever since Jan 2009 I have been having overheating issues with my Pavillion dv5-1050ee. I was told that generally all AMD laptops have this issue and treat it normal. Few months down the line I started experiencing performance issues and the laptop would crash or automatically shut down due to the overheating. 

The "cooperative" online support agents did not continue my chat after few minutes when they learnt my case was related to overheating. I have ample proof as I have saved the chat history on my laptop. instead of spending on costly ads HP should concentrate on making their products better.

In July 2009 I took the laptop at the local service center and as it was within the warranty period they changed the heat sink twice (or atleast they said they did). Since last week laptop is overheating again.

I have purchased extended warranty but have very little hope whether HP would provide a replacement of the motherboard if it were to be "cooked". This is a classic case of a good company with a faulty product.

HP PAVILION DV5-1050EE
RAM: 3 GB
PROCESSOR: AMD TURION X2 ULTRA DUAL-CORE MOBILE ZM-82 (2200 MHZ) 64 BIT
SYSTEM BIOS: F.12 - 09/08/2008

VISTA 32 BIT; ATI RADEON HD 3450

Top Student
chir0j0e
Message 6 of 22 (37,252 Views)

AMD based laptops produce more heat than my car engine.  My wife's laptop overheats constantly.   The only "solution" I've found is to keep the heat sinks clean by using compressed air and using an external cooling platform.  When she uses the platform it performs significantly better.  Also be cautious of place the laptop on any soft surface as the intake vents underneath might become obstructed depending on the design.

this is one reason we'll never buy AMD again.  But, I hope they get their act together because intel does need a competitor to keep the prices down.

Student
rashoo
Message 7 of 22 (34,971 Views)

Most likely the air vents are clogged by dust and other particles. Carefully vaccum around the vents or use compressed air blowers. Elevate it too, get a 12 cell battery or put it on something and elevate it couple of degrees. I personally think hp should have had designed it differently, instead of having the suction on the bottom, is should be on the sides.

Top Student
cogs06
Message 8 of 22 (31,003 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5 Overheating and restarts (sometimes)

I have a DV5-1046 laptop and it is regularly shutting down and usually does not restart due to overheating.

It is an Intel Mobo and CPU and has a nVidea 9600M GT graphics card.

Does anyone know if this is one of the bad ones and where are the details are of what chips are on the list and of the extended warranty as mentioned above as I have found HP quite difficult to deal with when it came to warranty problems.

I put in a claim for overheating and they said I needed to update the BIOS, which I did , and to not use it on my lap for long periods.

It came with Vista 32 bit installed and I have upgraded to W7.  All went smoothly.

I reinstalled Sims 2 and the incompatibility patch and once you run the game for ten to fifteen minutes all is too hot and it shuts down.

Must say I'm so unimpressed with HP I will be buying something else next time.  I also have a DV7.

Regards,

cogs06

Top Student
cogs06
Message 9 of 22 (30,973 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5 Overheating and restarts (sometimes)

Read elsewhere that the battery can be the problem or a big contributor to the overheating.

So i took it out and the laptop is a good 15 to 20 degrees Celsius cooler.

Refitted the battery and up went the temperature again.

Removed the battery and the laptop is cooling down very quickly and the fan has slowed right down also.

Still not convinced this is the whole answer as what will happen if I put in a new battery?

Another fix has been to redo the insulator between the cpu and gpu and their heatsinks as HP have used the absolute barest amount and of the chepest quality they could buy just to get them over the warranty line.

It is a real shame to see what was once a great company now putting out such dodgey goods and then giving very poor customer service from far away The Philipines and doing their utmost to avoid repairing anything at their expense under warranty.  Perhaps the merger with Compaq was not a great idea.

Regards

cogs

Honor Student
kfmnrchrd33
Message 10 of 22 (30,714 Views)

I have found that this difficulty may be to the proccessor . What I did to resolve the issue was first bought a laptop cooler which didnt work but helped. Then After a while I changed my Power settings . I used the Hp recommended but went to the Advanced setting to change my proccesors maximum output to 90 % and moderately adjusted the monitors brightness . I turned off all sllep modes to check if it was working and so far over several weeks I havent had any shut downs or sleep issues. Good Luck

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation